Where to create a branch: Stash or local?

Geoffrey Stoel November 6, 2014

Hi there..

I am new to Stash and have only limited git experience by using it for my local development version control. I have introduced Stash in our team so we can start doing version control of our scripts. 

I plan to use either the Feature Branch workflow, or the Git Workflow methodology. 

Main question I have is when creating a branch to work on a feature (in any of the workflows) where do you guys create the branch normally? 

• In your local repo? If so - how do your team mates/colleagues now about this one (do you push back the clean branch?)
  • In the central repo? If so - using stash web or git command? SourceTree maybe? (and then pull that one down locally?)

Newby questions all the way smile

G.

2 answers

1 vote
Balázs Szakmáry
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2014

I usually either create the branch on the web interface or locally just before I create the first commit. (And push the branch together with the first commit.) It mainly depends on what is in front of me when I start working on something.

If it is important for your team to see the empty branches as soon as they are created (for example as a signal that somebody has started working on a task), it is slightly better to agree on creating all branches on the web interface.

0 votes
LifeOfAFlippedTable
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 13, 2014

Hi Geoffrey, 

Thanks in taking an interest in using Stash.

Main question I have is when creating a branch to work on a feature (in any of the workflows) where do you guys create the branch normally? 

Regarding to your question, generally Git uses a central repository to serve as the single point-of-entry for all changes to the project. It gives every developer their own local copy of the entire project which allow each developer to work independently of all other changes to a project. Also, Git branches are designed to be a fail-safe mechanism for integrating code and sharing changes between repositories. 

In your case, you may want to look at this documentation on the guideline of a feature branch workflow. 

If you are in need of assistance, you could also open a Support Ticket as well.

Good luck!

Cheers, 

Andrew Er

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events