Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where are physical files located

Deleted user August 27, 2014

Where are the physical files located at on disk? In Stash, it tells me the directory the repository is in is located here:

/var/atlassian/application-data/stash/shared/data/repositories/1

but when I browse this folder, my files aren't in there. I am asking because we are using the system as a development-test system for webpages, and the repo location is going to act as a symlink to a public_html directory for each project we have (So we can push changes to the repo and instantly see the changes).

So my question is, where are the actual files stored at on-disk, can I can create a symlink from that location.

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
TimP
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 31, 2014

Hi Lori,

The other answers here are correct in that it isn't possible to symlink directly to the files in the repository. However, you could use a git post-receive hook to copy the files from the latest version of your master branch to a directory on your server after each push. This article has a good walkthrough that should get you up and running.

cheers,

Tim

Deleted user September 1, 2014

I really like your answer, except it appears the information given in the article doesn't work. I tried using the script given in the article, and modified it to fit my needs, but it appears it never gets triggered. I am on a different system, pushing my changes to a dedicated machine on a different IP. The post-receive script is in the hooks folder of the repository I am pushing to, and I assumed that the hooks monitor for changes on the bare repo, but it doesn't appear to be triggering at all after I push changes.

Johannes Kilian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 1, 2014

Hi Lori,

just to reassure you've done everything right: the script has to be in the

<Stash_Install>/shared/data/repositories/<ID>/hooks

folder. Putting it into the hooks folder of your cloned repository and pushing it to to STASH-server WILL NOT work, as the hooks are not part of the things which get pushed to the remote repository or get cloned ....

Michael Heemskerk
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 1, 2014

Please note that Stash installs its own post-receive hook in STASH_HOME/shared/data/repositories/<ID>/hooks (or for older versions in STASH_HOME/data/repositories/<ID>/hooks).

You should not overwrite this hook because Stash needs it for its own processing. You can install custom hooks in the ../data/repositories/<ID>/hooks/post-receive.d

Just to confirm, I placed the file in my STASH_HOME/shared/data/repositories/10/hooks/post-receive.d/ and called it commit: Here is the pastebin of the code contained within

http://pastebin.com/yhzwbfqH

nothing is displayed anywhere, and the files are never pushed to the directory

Michael Heemskerk
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 1, 2014

Hi Lori,

A couple of things could be wrong.

• Since you had overwritten the original post-receive, please ensure that the original is restored. Simplest way is to copy the post-receive script from another repository.
  • Please ensure that both the original post-receive and your 'commit' scripts are executable and accessible to the user that Stash is executing as.

Both are confirmed and in place. I've managed to get it to make the log file, now im having an issue getting it to actually pull the changes.

Do I first need to make the WORKING DIRECTORY, and make it a repository ?

1 vote
ThiagoBomfim
Atlassian Team
August 28, 2014

Hi Lori,

The information of the location of the Git repo on disk is shown in the UI. If you browse through your Project and then through your Repo, you can access the repo settings which contains the location on disk. It is very similar to what you wrote for Stash release 3.2+: <Stash_Install>/shared/data/repositories/<ID>

If this directory is empty, it means the repository in the UI is empty as well and you shouldn't see any files there (i.e. repo was created but nothing was pushed into it).

As long as you have a different directory in a file system pointing to the <Stash_Install>/shared/data/repositories/ directory, I don't see any problem if it is only a read access. The repo structure should not be modified by anything other than Stash itself.

Does that make sense?

Best regards,

Thiago Bomfim

Atlassian Support

Deleted user August 28, 2014

What I meant by my files aren't there, is doing an ls on the directory, it doesn't list my files. For example, index.php

instead it lists 5 directories and 3 files

branches
hooks
info
objects
refs

config
description
HEAD

As stated, I need to be able to access my physical files, so I can symlink them to my public_html directory so when a developer pushes changes, they can view them immediately.

ThiagoBomfim
Atlassian Team
August 31, 2014

Hi Lori,

From your answer to Johannes I got what you wanted. I am really sorry for not getting you at first.

What you want unfortunately isn't exactly how Git works. As explained by Johannes, the repos created in/by Stash are bare repos (that's the only way to get Git on a server so your developers can push into the central repo) thus you won't be able to see working files by directly browsing the Git repo file structure.

In order to retrieve your files, you will need to git clone your repository first.

By the sounds of it, what you really seem to want is a Continuous Integration / Continuous Delivery type of environment. Our Bamboo product would be able to build the files you pushed into Stash (a push in a Git repo hosted on Stash can trigger a new build in Bamboo, for instance) and deploy it afterwards.

Alternatively, if you don't want to set up a CI/CD system which understanbly requires time and financial investiments, you'd have to do a script to clone the repo and manually deploy it. The symlink won't be a valid alternative for you.

I hope that helps.

Best regards,

Thiago Bomfim

Atlassian Support

0 votes
CelsoA
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 2, 2014

Hi Lori,

The most basic data storage is the blob. Git stores just the contents of the file for tracking history, and not just the differences between individual files for each change. The contents are then referenced by a 40 character SHA1 hash of the contents, which means it’s pretty much guaranteed to be unique. Pretty much every object, be it a commit, tree, or blob has a SHA, so learn to love them. Luckily, they’re easily referenced by the first 7 characters which are usually enough to identify the whole string.

If you want to have a "test site" I would recommend you using a cron to clone the repository each 1 minute, and this clone path can be used as symlink to the webserver.

E.g.

Create a folder site, use a cron like "git pull repo_url destination path" and point the webserver documentroot to this path.

Please let me know if this help you.

Regards,

Celso Yoshioka

0 votes
Johannes Kilian
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 28, 2014

Be aware that the repositories within <Stash_Install>/shared/data/repositories/<ID> are stored as bare repositories (as standard for hosted repositories), Therefore you won't see your files directly rather than the git hashes files only.

Deleted user August 28, 2014

This doesn't really help me than and solve my issue. If they only show as bare repositories, than obviously I can't use it as a symlink for public_html. My question was where are the physical files stored at on the system. I need the actual location of the physical files on the repository so that I can symlink the public_html there so when the developers visit the development test site after they push a change, they immediately see the changes.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events