cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
  • Community
  • Products
  • Bitbucket
  • Questions
  • What is the recommendation for Stash code reviews? Where does Crucible fit in? Same for FishEye? What is roadmap for Crucible and FishEye in regards to Stash and specifically code reviews?

What is the recommendation for Stash code reviews? Where does Crucible fit in? Same for FishEye? What is roadmap for Crucible and FishEye in regards to Stash and specifically code reviews?

Pavi Gupta March 26, 2015

1 answer

2 votes
TimP
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 26, 2015

Hi Pavi,

Don't consider this a complete answer, as there are various subtleties and features that are unique to each product that may be useful depending on your exact requirements. 

However, at a high level:

• Stash supports code review via "Pull Requests", that is you can review all of the changes that are unique to a Git branch before merging them into another branch. Git is the only version control system that Stash currently supports.
  • Crucible supports in place code review (i.e. you can review changes before or after merging, and even before committing using patch reviews). Crucible supports Git, Mercurial, SVN, CVS and Perforce. Crucible also arguably has better support for iterative review. When a review is updated with new commits, you can easily see which files have changed since the last time you looked at the review.

Though Crucible has more comprehensive support, I believe pull requests are a more streamlined way to develop software. I actually did a presentation on the topic here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4SoB3TFkjA 

(ignore the SaaS part of the title, 95% of the video applies to all software teams) 

So if you're in a position to use a Git-based branching workflow, I'd recommend Stash. If you're stuck on another version control system, I'd use Crucible. We have no plans to discontinue either product anytime soon.

cheers,

Tim

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events