It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

What is the differene between "Jira Integration" and "Jira" ?

* I'm confused and not finding a convenient answer. I'm sorry if it's been asked before but I couldn't find it in a reasonable time.

1: The pricing document for bitbucket lists "Jira Integration" in the free column. Does that mean you get Jira free by default whenever you sign up for a free bitbucket account?

2: But there is this Jira pricing document too - which seems to suggest you must pay at least $10 / month to get Jira.

3: Ultimately , I would like to have a clear understanding of what step are needed to make use of Jira (both in terms of cost as well as technically). I can imagine you must have a bitbucket account right? (I do have one).  But after that what do you do to get Jira?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jake

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Brant Schroeder Community Leader Apr 15, 2019

1. Atlassian has different hosted solutions for the same product.  If you look at the information you provided it actually references Jira Software Integration.  The Jira Software Integration allows you to connect bitbucket cloud to Jira Server.  Jira Server is a self managed solution that is hosted on-premise and has it's own licensing.  

2. Pricing is dependent on the solution you implement.  It sounds like you are looking at cloud.  If this is the case you can build out your cost online with the different products you would like to use and the number of users.  

3. If you purchase both cloud offerings of Jira and bitbucket they will reside in your account.  You can then use the following steps to connect the two products. https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucket/connect-bitbucket-cloud-to-jira-software-cloud-814190686.html

That clears some things up. I really appreciate it.

I know this is a followup but I guess the way I "feel" when engaging this company is like I feel when engaging amazon or google or any other massive massive organization.  It seems ambiguous to tell the difference between what you get for free (details what it does) vs. what you pay for this fancy bling (which is surely worth it I'm sure). But the information is not forthcoming.

What I'm  saying is, Sometimes there are free ways to get the same functionality (community integrations?) as the fancy thing all the marketing dollars are being spent on.  Yes, ometimes those solutions require more work to implement. and maintain  But one things seems to always be true - that is the most difficult information to unearth!

I'm not talking about alternatives to bitbucket. I like bitbucket. I'm talking about alternative to the functionality found in Jira through an alternative route within bitbucket (including just what could be done with the base free bitbucket account as one comparator).

Amazon does this - there exists a ton of ad hoc, outside solutions for the things aws "can do" and that Amazon itself will never, ever tell you about. In addition to that, they ensure that the only information that's readily available is their own documentation (not including the other alternatives buried days or weeks or months later in the search result).

Don't take me wrong - I love bitbucket - I do. What I'm saying is the information is not forthcoming (and may, possibly, be intentionally ambiguous?).. (eg: Amazon has no motivation to invest their dollars in telling you how to, for exampl, run your own web server on aws - impossible to find good information as of a couple yrs ago). When I goolgle for info on these concerns I just see Atlassian marketing and upselling...

So, do I really have to pay for Jira to get the functionality that Jira provides?

To me it's as simple as knowing what I need but as complicated as having never been through it before.

PS:  Again, please don't take me wrong, what I've seen of Jira is mind blowing!  And $10/mo isn't gonna break the bank either.  I'm just saying I would like to be 'well informed'.

Fwiw I'm a single person team, hpbby programmer who wants to emulate every step in the sdlc (from project management to distribution and everything in between -creation, etc - even the business part outside that of entrepreneurship). I think Atlassian may have what I need but I have to be practical too - I work as a laborer to pay bill and I hpbby program on the side.  NEVERTHELESS - I still desire access to the latest tools and technologies just because I'm alone and don't make money off it).

THanks. so much for getting through all that. I' really appreciate the feedback.

Sincerely,

Jake

To use Jira you do have to pay for it after your free trial is over.  There are other agile and project management tools that might be free and you might be able to integrate bit bucket into since it is just a Git repository.  What those are I am not sure of or if they exist.  But if it is Jira that you would like to use you have to pay for it as the page you referenced displayed licensing costs.

I think I should have started a "discussion" instead of a "quation"

Moderator?

Thanks. I understand. I'm struggling real hard the process of determining the right tools for my need as I discover my needs themselves.  It's been greuling! Who knows - maybe it'll kill me!  "  :p

I hope not.  the thing that is nice is that Atlassian does provide free trials so take advantage of them to better see if their tools meet you needs.

Like Jake likes this

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published in Bitbucket

Atlassian supported Jenkins integration for Bitbucket Server

We’ve been building a plugin to integrate Bitbucket Server and Jenkins CI, and I’m excited to announce that our alpha is ready to download and install. It lets you seamlessly configure a Jenkins job ...

944 views 1 17
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you