What is the difference between a repository and a project?

Franklin Siu December 5, 2016

I'm not sure what is the difference between a project and repository.  If I have several unrelated websites, do I create 1 project and multiple repository or do I create a project for each website with 1 repository?  

3 answers

37 votes
Vasiliy Zverev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 6, 2016

Project is a container for repositories. 

It is used to:

1. Group similar repositiries
  2. Grant permission for all repositionries.

If you need to have the same read/write permission for set of sites - organise it into a single project.

If you going to store something else but websites on this instance - group all sites into a project.

kim92se May 1, 2019

good explain !

Like # people like this
rashed50 February 12, 2020

good clarification

Ahmad401 September 29, 2020

Nice explanation 

jairogallardo April 25, 2021

thanks!

0 votes
Ajay Dhiman June 18, 2021

Can you tell me the difference in terms of [Set] and [Sub set] terminology ? i.e. 1 project can have multiple Repositories OR 1 Repository can have multiple projects OR if both are possible then whats a ideal or good practice OR its invalid question ?

So far  I never worked in 'Project' Option. Generally, we always talk about Repositories like Checkout or clone the repository in local.

0 votes
Richard Herrera July 28, 2020

Project, It will assume that is something that is going to be created, and with it comes time requested, and type. In other words, something that is not a routine, and has time due.

Repository; is where to storage, put, keep the work, since it has to be left in somewhere!!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events