cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is objects/17 git directory?

Alexey_Efimov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 15, 2016

Hello,

Can anyone explain that purpose of objects/17 directory inside .git directory?

Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Johannes Kilian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 15, 2016

Each 'git commit'

• creates a unique commit Id (160-bit SHA-1 hash - calculated from the contents of the commit)
  • stores its data within the folder .git/objects within subfolders

==> The subfolders are created from the first two characters of your current commit-ID. The files within the subfolders are named from the rest of your commit-ID

This splitting is probably done to avoid thousands of files within a single folder.

---------------------

Example:

Your commitID is 17556a21ebc68ce39bb53f26af9a590eb76d8c46

-> corresponding data is stored within .git/objects/17/556a21ebc68ce39bb53f26af9a590eb76d8c46

Alexey_Efimov
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 15, 2016

Bitbucket server code (GC scheduler) used exactly objects/17 dir. This is some of special directory i guess, but i can't find any docs about this directory.

And, yes, i know that is two first symbols from commit hash. My question is little bit another smile

Michael Heemskerk
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 15, 2016

Bitbucket Server checks how many loose objects there are in the 17 directory to decide whether a gc needs to be run. The assumption is that loose objects should be reasonably evenly distributed across the different object directories, so the count in 17 is a reasonable indicator. There's nothing special about 17 though..

Alexey_Efimov
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 15, 2016

smile

If directory does not exists will GC never executed?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events