Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are the environmental variables that are available to git post-receive hook for a repo managed by stash?

Garret Pick December 17, 2012

Hi,

I was wondering if there's a list / description somewhere of the environmental variables that are available to hooks?

Specifically, I'm wondering if there is anything that could be used to derive the path for cloning (http/ssh)?

thanks,

Garret

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
cofarrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 17, 2012

Hi Garret,

I think I might need to ask what you need to achieve with this hook and clone URLs before I can answer this properly.

Are you talking about hooks post Stash 2.0? I ask because prior to that hooks in Stash were invoked mostly without much environmental context. As part of providing branch permissions in 2.0 we have decided to install custom hooks to talk-back to Stash. In future versions of Stash the process of adding in-app hooks will be better documented and fully-supported.

If you're interested in post-receive hook specifically, and don't need to be synchronous or return input to the user, then I would recommend writing a plugin that listens for the RepositoryPushEvent. In 2.0 this even has a list of RefChanges. Otherwise you _could_ attempt to use our undocumented api for PostReceiveHook.

Either way, if you're in Java, you can use NavBuilder.clone() to find the correct HTTP URL.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Charles

Garret Pick December 17, 2012

Hi Charles,

I am evaluating Stash 2.0 and I'm anxious to see improved hook management in future versions of Stash.

Specifically, what I want to do is add a simple shell (no java) script to trigger our build system based on Jenkins. This is described here:

https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Git+Plugin#GitPlugin-Pushnotificationfromrepository

I have this working as advertised, but the

<URL of the Git repository>

is hard coded. It would be much easier to maintain if I could use an environmental variable here and then share the common hook across all of our repsoitories.

thanks,

Garret

cofarrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 17, 2012

Hi Garret,

Regarding hooks, we are trying to improve the whole hook experience in the next release. That said I do think that focus will be on the Java side of things.

I'm afraid there isn't likely to be an easy way to do this via scripts now or in future releases. If I get a spare second today I might try and send you an example Java project that will do the trick - it really will be the best/easiest way to achieve what you want.

Cheers,

Charles

Garret Pick December 18, 2012

Hi Charles,

That would be great to have an example. I imagine that others would find it useful as well.

thanks,

Garret

cofarrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 18, 2012

Hi Garret,

I've just whipped a hard-coded plugin, with no pretty UI at the moment. I'm hoping it's enough to get you started. You'll need to clone that repository, build via maven (which can be found in the Atlassian plugin SDK) and upload to your Stash instance.

https://bitbucket.org/atlassian/stash-webhook-plugin

Is that what you had in mind? Let me know if you have any problems.

Cheers,

Charles

1 vote
cofarrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 30, 2013

FYI For anyone looking for that example I've migrated it to our Atlassian account:

0 votes
Gabby Romano February 3, 2013

hi Charles,

I am also in need for a post receive hook. I am using stash 2.0.2 now. I am not a java developer.

1) the link you provided is broken.

2) I don't understand how to write a hook now, since I am not a java developer,as I said. in basic git, what stash is suppose to manage or extened, rather than limit, you could write a script which will do what you need and put it under the hooks directory, and that was it.

how can you say "improve the whole hook experience" while you took out a very basic functionality of Git ??

now I need to learn java, use maven, etc etc... why ?? all I wanted was to write a simple hook. why not adding this option to stash rather than killing it all together ?

am I missing something here ?

Gabby.

Michael Heemskerk
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 3, 2013

Hi Gabby,

Charles has moved the example to the Atlassian account (see his comment above). The new url is https://bitbucket.org/atlassian/stash-webhook-plugin.

With respect to needing to learn Java, Maven and more.. Stash supports Java plugins in addition to standard git hooks. If you want to write a hook using bash, perl, or your favourite (scripting) language, you can simply drop your script in the <STASH_HOME>/data/repositories/<repository-id>/hooks/pre-receive.d directory.

Stash makes the REMOTE_USER environment variables available to your script so you can tell which user pushed to Stash.

Cheers,

Michael

cofarrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 3, 2013

Hi Gabby,

Sorry about the broken link - I don't know how that happened. I've updated it now.

Technically we haven't taken out anything of Git. On the Stash server there are still normally Git repository which you are more than welcome to modify if that suits your needs. We haven't killed anything. The downside of this approach is that it can _only_ be done by the system administrator by updating the filesystem and is difficult to customise based on per-repository settings (for example).

Building hooks in Java is really a way for us to harness the power of the Altassian plugin ecosystem. Using our hook APIs plugin developers will be able to enhance Stash in various ways that just aren't possible with a script. For example when someone pushes a commit to Stash we could update the related JIRA issue, using the configured application links, as well as notifying Bamboo. Sure, you possibly do that in a script, but then how would you share that with other Stash users via our marketplace?

I hope this answers your question.

Thanks Michael and Charles,

That is what I was expecting. I couldn’t figure that out from thread. I was under the impression that the hooks mechanism has changed in a way that it will be much more difficult to handle.

thanks a lot.

cofarrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 3, 2013

As far as I can tell, and it might be staring me in the face, I can't seem to edit a comment, only an "answer". Annoying. Just in case you didn't see the link:

btw, the link is still broken.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events