Users are not linked up for existing commits in imported git repo

Alexander Bolodurin November 14, 2012

I've imported a repo from github with a bunch of existing commits, but all committers, including myself, appear as unknown in the commit stream, i.e. not mapped to a bitbucket profile.

1. The emails on existing commits are correct: I have added and verified emails that I've used to commit via github to my account, bitbucket still can't map the commits by that email to the actual profile.
  2. If, after importing the repo, I make a new commit with the same email via github and then push changes across to bitbucket, the committer is mapped correctly to my profile.

I know I can work around it by adding aliases of all committers manually per repo, but I feel like I should not have to, all the information is already there, and Bitbucket should be able to figure it out.

A bug or a feature?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
aMarcus
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 20, 2012

Bitbucket matches based on email address of existing user accounts. If the users emails in your commits don't have a matching Bitbucket user, they won't be matched up. For a more full explanation of this, check out our documentation on the subject.

If you think this is an unrelated issue, please raise a support request on https://support.atlassian.com in the Bitbucket project and we can take a look at your specific repositories and issues.

Alexander Bolodurin November 23, 2012

As I stated, the commit emails do have existing matching users. Looks like a bug, then? Reported on support.atlassian.com

aMarcus
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 26, 2012

As a side note to this, we don't presently update the activity feed. If you update your username aliases, we'll show it correctly on the commits views and many other places, except the dashboard activity feed. Only new updates will show the change.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events