User management between Stash and JIRA

Conn August 18, 2015

I'm currently trialling Stash and JIRA on my machine, to see if they are what we want.

I've got the integration setup between them, so from JIRA I can create a branch in Stash from an Issue, and the issue gets updated with branches and pull requests and so on, but I've run into a user management issue I'm a bit confused by.

At the moment I have Stash using its own internal user directory, and JIRA using its own internal user directory, as I was not sure exactly what the best way to handle the users would be, for example:

• If I set it up so Stash used the JIRA user directory, and we had JIRA open for public signups, presumably that would mean any user on JIRA would be able to login to Stash? (In reality we'd have it only internally accessible I suspect, but in theory would that be the case?)
  • Alternatively if it was the other way round and JIRA used the Stash user directory, would we still be able o have JIRA open for public signups?

The other issue I'm having, which I assume is related to this, is that I've created a user in Stash (called "jimbob") and I added him to a "stash-reviewers" group which has the Project permissions, so he can Approve pull requests (I couldn't find any detailed permissions for this sort of thing just overall "System Admin", "Admin", "Project Creator", etc... And when he views the Pull request, whilst he can see the link to the JIRA issue, when he clicks on it, it says:

Can't display issues

Either you don't have access to view them or they don't exist. Please contact your system administrator if you believe this is incorrect.

My admin account can view the JIRA issue from inside Stash just fine, when logged into just Stash and not JIRA in the browser, so I'm not sure if this is a permissions thing, or because the user "jimbob" only exists in Stash and not JIRA, or...?

Could anyone shed any light on these issues for me?

Cheers.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
gustavo_refosco
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 18, 2015

Hi,

Answering to your questions separately:

If I set it up so Stash used the JIRA user directory, and we had JIRA open for public signups, presumably that would mean any user on JIRA would be able to login to Stash? (In reality we'd have it only internally accessible I suspect, but in theory would that be the case?)

No. When having your Stash users managed by JIRA you still have to define, in Stash, who will have access to it - this is defined in Stash Administration > Global Permissions. That being said, you can have a user created in JIRA and this user won't have access to Stash unless he has permissions for this, by having at least a Stash User permission assigned to it under Global Permissions in Stash, or also being member of a group which has at least a Stash User permission.

Alternatively if it was the other way round and JIRA used the Stash user directory, would we still be able o have JIRA open for public signups?

You can't manage JIRA users with Stash, only JIRA can be used to manage users of other applications. Alternatively, just out of curiosity (and in case you want to check) Atlassian also offers another tool specifically used for user management (which can manage then users for the Atlassian suit, including JIRA and Stash), called Crowd.

My admin account can view the JIRA issue from inside Stash just fine, when logged into just Stash and not JIRA in the browser, so I'm not sure if this is a permissions thing, or because the user "jimbob" only exists in Stash and not JIRA, or...?

You're correct, jimbob isn't able to see the issue details because he doesn't exist in JIRA so, by definition, he doesn't have permissions to see it.

Regards,

Gustavo Refosco

Conn August 18, 2015

Hi, Thanks for the response. So from an administrative point of view, say you had a new developer join the team, you would create their account in JIRA and then add them into the JIRA "stash-administrators" group (or whichever group you choose to put new developers in)?

Conn August 18, 2015

I think i've messed this up somewhere. I just created a new user in JIRA, and without doing anything to the permissions, tried to login to Stash with it and it let me in. It can't see any projects, but it still let me in. But the account is not in the "stash-users" group in JIRA, only the "jira-users"

gustavo_refosco
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 18, 2015

Hi, Can you confirm at Stash Admin > Global Permissions that: * This user doesn't have a permission assigned to it. * The jira-users group doesn't have a permission assigned to it.

Conn August 18, 2015

Thanks, it had the jira-users in there

gustavo_refosco
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 19, 2015

Hi, Thanks for letting me know, I'm glad my response helped. :) Please allow me to ask you to mark my first answer (in which I answered your first questions separately) as accepted in order to have it in the top of the thread, so this also helps other customers. Thanks in advance. Gustavo Refosco

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events