Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading from 5.14 to 7.3 - Active Directory connector breaks. Can't login.

S_ Toyo July 8, 2020

We really want to upgrade from 5.14 to the latest version but every time we try to upgrade our Active Directory connector breaks and now nobody is able to login. How can we fix this?! Can somebody please help us! We have been dealing with this roadblock for over a year now and no idea how to get this resolved. We don't have enough licenses to create everyone a local account.

1 answer

0 votes
Italo Qualisoni [e-Core]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 8, 2020

Hello @S_ Toyo ,

Do you have some error in your logs after the upgrade? I've seen some cases that AD has failed to sync when the SSL was turned on and after upgrade the JAVA was replaced by a new version and we had to manually include the certificate in JRE cacerts, this kb ; I'm not sure if this is your case, but having the logs will help you to identify and fix. 

Also if you have a staging environment it will be easier to troubleshoot it and plan production with no rollback;

S_ Toyo July 8, 2020

@Italo Qualisoni [e-Core]where can I find the logs? I took a snapshot of our server before attempting to upgrade but since the AD connector did not work and we couldn't even log in, I rolled the entire server back to its original state. :(

Italo Qualisoni [e-Core]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 8, 2020

The logs are located in <Bitbucket home directory>/log

I would recommend you to create a clone the environment (we called this as staging environment) to test the upgrade, and when it fails you can troubleshoot the logs and see what needs to be done to fix it;

In a high level you will need to do the following to create the staging environment:

• Clone the Bitbucket server with both binaries and home folder
  • Clone Bitbucket database
  • Make sure that staging Bitbucket is not pointing to production and it's pointing to the database clone
  • Start Bitbucket and do some smoke testing prior the upgrade
Italo Qualisoni [e-Core]
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 12, 2020

@S_ Toyo ,

Let me know your progress and you have found the logs path.

Also I'm not sure if you knows about  Atlassian Partner, here you can find a partner that can help you get this task done.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events