Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading Git for Stash

Alexander Riggs January 23, 2014

I am thinking of switching my bitbucket to Stash. After installing it to the server, I get this message:

A fatal error has occurred

The following problem occurred which prevents Atlassian Stash from starting correctly:

You are using Git 1.7.1. The minimum supported version is 1.7.6. Upgrade to Git 1.7.6+, excluding 1.8.4.3, and restart Stash.

That is fine and dandy.. Just run:

yum update git

The only problem is, when I run this, it says my Git is up to date. What do I need to do tho fix this issue? Is there a place I can manually update it to a newer version?

Server:

CentOS release 6.5 (Final) cpe:/o:centos:linux:6:GA

I am still learning linux, so please be as specific as you can! Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
cofarrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 23, 2014

Hi Alexander,

It's most unfortunate that the most recent version of Git that comes with CentOS/Redhat is 1.7.1, and Stash really does need 1.7.6+ (we're not trying to be difficult). This is our KB article on how to install a newer version:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/STASHKB/Git+1.7.1+is+Not+Supported+by+Stash

Let me know if that helps or not.

Charles

Alexander Riggs January 23, 2014

Thank you for your help - but unfortonatly it looks like this will be impossible for my level of linux knowledge. I followed your link, went to install git, and it needed four or five dependancies that cannot be updated through yum. So this was the correct answer - it is just past my abilities - and for now I will just have to keep using bitbucket it appears. Thank you for your time!

Alexander Riggs January 24, 2014
Did a little more digging and visited the last link on the page you linked. It was a straightfoward answer that was easy to do. So it fixed it. Thank you very much! Here is the link to make it easOrr for the next person. I would suggest putting that code directly in the kb. https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/52498/stash-requires-git-1-7-6-but-rhel6-comes-with-git-1-7-1?page=1#86674

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events