Upgrade from 4.14 to 4.14.9 issues with web page asking for database connect?

Greg Gesualdi August 31, 2017

Upgrade from 4.14 to 4.14.9 issues with web page asking for database connect?

Also I've looked at server.xml and bitbucket.properties and don't see or think there are any special customizations I would have configured.

My main goal is to migrate all the way up to 5.3.1 but I had an issue when upgrading from 4.14 to 5.3.1 so I broke it down to main upgrade paths and the next was 4.14.9 and I already running into issues.

1 answer

0 votes
Mark A_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 31, 2017

Hi Greg,

There could be many reasons for encountering the issue you are experiencing. Do note that upgrading from 4.14 to 5.3 does not require an upgrade path. 

BITBUCKET_HOME  Environment Variable

• This has either changed or no longer points to the proper location of your Bitbucket Server data.
  • This environment variable may no longer be set.
  • If Windows, and running as a Service, you need to verify that the service is pointing to the proper location - see Change Bitbucket Home when installed as a Windows service.

Bitbucket Server Properties

• The bitbucket.properties file in your "BITBUCKET_HOME/shared" directory may be restricted from being read by the Bitbucket user. You will need to verify the permissions to this directory and file.

Bitbucket Server User

• It is possible that the user that is now running Bitbucket Server is different than before. The default user is "atlbitbucket" if you have installed and are running Bitbucket Server as a service.

I hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,

Mark

Greg Gesualdi September 5, 2017

Hey Mark, 

Thanks for the responce, you are correct, it looks like the issue is the default user on the windows service.
I had this set to 'Local System' previously.

After the upgrade I can get everything back online if I switch the user of those services back to 'Local System' but if upgrades are going to break this I want to get this setup for future seamless upgrades

What permissions do I need to give the altbitbucket user as I see I do have this already setup as a local user on the server?

Thanks

Mark A_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 12, 2017

Hey Greg,

The atlbitbucket user should be a standard user but have ownership of its application directories and data directories so that it can write and read the files that it needs.

Upgrades should not break this portion. We only touch the service if it matches our default service name. If we do not find the service, then we assume you have other methods to start Bitbucket. Based on your description, you do have the user installed but I can't say if the user was created by the Bitbucket installer or by an admin.

For the service, I would say to ensure that the service is using the default service name "BITBUCKET" and a display name of "Atlassian Bitbucket Server BITBUCKET", and the installer will recognize the service and take care of it in future upgrades. See Running Bitbucket Server as a Windows service.

-Mark

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events