Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to clone from or push to a new repository

pantomimecow January 7, 2019

Good afternoon,

I have been using bitbucket for over a year and never come across this issue.  I have tried to push to new repository and also tried to access it by cloning it.

All the details appear to be correct eg Username and password etc however I keep getting this message.

-----------------------------------------

$ git clone git@bitbucket.org:pantomimecow/nova.git
Cloning into 'nova'...
Permission denied (publickey).
fatal: Could not read from remote repository.

Please make sure you have the correct access rights
and the repository exists.

--------------------------------------------

Can someone please help?

G

1 answer

0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 8, 2019

Hi Graham, welcome to the Community :) 

Seems like you're cloning using the SSH option, have you confirmed you have the right SSH key in your machine? You can see what SSH key is your computer offering by running this command on the terminal:

ssh-add -l

Let us know if that was the issue!

Kind regards,

Ana

pantomimecow January 9, 2019

HI Ana 

Thank you for replying.

What I was actually trying to achieve was to push a local repo to my new remote.  Sorry, I was using the clone as - see if I could get the basics working.

Now when I run

git push -u origin master

I now get

Warning: Permanently added the RSA host key for IP address '18.205.93.1' to the list of known hosts.
Permission denied (publickey).
fatal: Could not read from remote repository.

Please make sure you have the correct access rights
and the repository exists.

When I ran ssh-add -l

I received 

Could not open a connection to your authentication agent.

Any assistance would be really appreciated.

G

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 9, 2019

Hi Graham

You'll need to fix the issue with your SSH key first. If you're unsure about it or prefer to create a new one, you can follow the instructions at Set up an SSH key. If you're still having difficulties with your SSH agent, you could have a look at this page.

Once that's fixed, we can go to the next thing. When you said you were trying to push a local repo to your new remote, does that repo already exist on your remote, or are you trying to create it now? If so, you'll need to follow the steps at Create a Git repository.

Hope that helps!

Ana

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events