Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to access projects on bitbucket after being forced to create a new username

Raji Ismail Damilola September 27, 2021

I don't know if I am doing something wrong. I tried to login to bitbucket some minutes ago. But after a successful login, I was presented with a page to set my username. I knew I had a username originally so I was confused. I logged out and logged back in again but I was presented with same page. If I input my original username, an error occurred saying the username already exists.

So I used a different username and successfully accessed the bitbucket homepage. But it wasn't my original workspace but a new empty one. I am currently unable to access my original workspace and I have a few projects in there. As an example, my original workspace is accessed with username user1. When I was forced to create a new username, I created another one with user11. Now, whenever I login, I can only see the workspace of user11 and not user1.

I am currently able to push to one of the repositories showing that it still exists. I just need to be able to access these projects so that I can at least move them out. Please help and thank you.

1 answer

0 votes
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 28, 2021

Hi @Raji Ismail Damilola,

Based on your description, it sounds like you might have attempted to log in with an email alias of the account. Log-in to Bitbucket is possible only with the primary email address, email aliases are used for Git aliasing only. An attempt to log in with an email alias will prompt you to create a new Bitbucket account.

If you don't remember the primary email of the Bitbucket account you want to access, my suggestion would be to try logging in with any other email addresses that you own, and see if one of them gives you access to your account.

If you don't remember the password of the Bitbucket account, you can request a password reset email for any other email addresses you own via: https://id.atlassian.com/login/resetpassword

Kind regards,
Theodora

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events