Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Troubleshooting bitbucket server crashes

Kevin Jones October 21, 2016

Hi there.

Our company is using Bitbucket Server 4.4.1. There are very few of us in the company who are Linux experts, but because I preferred that option over Windows, that's how I configured our server.

Lately, we've have unrecoverable outages of the service. The atlbitbucket service stops working, even though the catalina.pid remains in place. This happens after about 24 hours of operation, and a simple service atlbitbucket restart doesn't clear the old catalina.pid file. So, I have to restart the machine to bring it back up.

This isn't really acceptable to my bosses, and I've been trying to figure out the reasons why the system would stop working. I've increased memory on the machine, increased memory to the JVM heap, etc. The logs show a lot of "broken pipe" items when looking at plugins, but I've removed all of the outdated plugins.

We're running on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.

I just need advice where to start looking in the logs or other things I can try to identify as causes.

1 answer

0 votes
Jeff Thomas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 21, 2016

I'd start by looking at the catalina.out in <Bitbucket Server installation directory>/logs if you haven't already. If the JVM is crashing, you should see an indication of why in there.

Also, we may be able to take a closer look if you raise a support request at https://support.atlassian.com and attach a Support Zip.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events