Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tried "prevent changes without pull request" but doesn't stop commits

Matthieu Steffens November 30, 2015

Just started to look into Bitbucket server administration and how to get restrictions to work.

I marked a branch as "Prevent changes without a pull request" to Everyone and still I can freely commit to that branch. I also limited the read access to Senior and Admin users and did the test with a regular developer account.

Is there a different way to make sure none can commit to certain branches? 

Thanks

6 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Felix
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 30, 2015

Matthieu, it sounds like you are describing using the branch permissions feature of Bitbucket Server. Is that correct? Please note that none of the permissions you specify for a repository will affect a local repository; they will only be enforced once those changes are actually pushed to Bitbucket Server.

0 votes
Matthieu Steffens December 3, 2015

QA, but seems you are correct, was local and wasn't pushed to server itself. Master will be empty branch, tried to rename it but started to give lot of errors, so master is locked out for all. Thanks for quick replies Tim & Felix

0 votes
Tim Crall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 3, 2015

That seems reasonable - which branch is allowing pushes that shouldn't? master?

0 votes
Matthieu Steffens December 2, 2015

print-git.png

This is how I set up permissions

0 votes
Tim Crall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 30, 2015

Ooo, that's a good point. I just assumed you were talking about pushing to the server. But Felix is correct, branch permissions won't (and can't) affect anyone's right to do whatever they want on their local copy of the repo. The "permission denied" error message will only be displayed when they attempt to push back to Bitbucket.

0 votes
Tim Crall
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 30, 2015

Can you attach a screenshot? That should work. When you say you limit read access, do you mean on the repo? Or the branch? You actually can't limit read access on a branch, but you can limit write access.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events