Transitioning BitBucket issue with a commit message not working Edited

I'm trying to understand how this works

https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucket/resolve-issues-automatically-when-users-push-code-221451126.html

For I create an issue in BitBucket Cloud, and it has issue #3 with status of open.

I then create a branch

git checkout -b my-issue-3-branch

make some edits and then I make a commit with

git commit -a

and add the comment at the top with

Updates for fix issue #3

I then push the code to remote with

git push -u origin my-issue-3-branch

I can see the commit for the branch, and I can see #3 is linked to issue #3.

According to the documentation, this should transition the issue to a Resolved state and add a comment that matched the commit.

But it doesn't.

Wat am I missing? (It's possible I've skipped a step, but I've donethis a fwe times with commits, and I can't get issues to transition.

3 answers

0 votes

Hi Jim,

It appears you didn't put the transition in your push.  The format should be as follows according to Using Smart Commits in Bitbucket Server:

<ignored text> ISSUE_KEY <ignored text> #<transition_name> <comment_string>

The example from is as follows:

JRA-090 #close Fixed this today

Cheers,

Branden

Hi Brandon,

Thanks, but the page you linked to is when JIRA is linked to BitBucket Cloud and you're using Smart Commits, which is a different feature.

I don't have JIRA, I only have a BitBucket iIssue I'm trying to transition with a git commit as documented in

https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucket/resolve-issues-automatically-when-users-push-code-221451126.html

Jim.

I too have this problem. The issue is never transitioned to a Resolved state. It works for another account (and repository).

0 votes

I have the same problem.

Scenario 1:

Bitbucket > Issues tracker (in a repository on which I have Write access)

Push with "close issue #" in commit > Creates commit with linked issue in Bitbucket > Does NOT add comment to the issue > Does NOT close the issue

Scenario 2:

Bitbucket > Issues tracker (in a repository on which I am Admin)

Push with "close issue #" in commit > Creates commit with linked issue in Bitbucket > Does add comment to the issue > Does close the issue

Anyone? ... Anyone?

Hmm, I'm the admin for my repo, so I'm not sure what is different between what we're seeing.

I can't find a project on https://jira.atlassian.com/ to look if this has been reported.

I just noticed that the difference appears to be more related to whether the repository was forked or not. In my scenario 1, the repository is forked (and commit commands do not work). In my scenario 2, the repository is not forked (and commit commands do work). 

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Piotr Plewa
Published Dec 27, 2017 in Bitbucket

Recipe: Deploying AWS Lambda functions with Bitbucket Pipelines

Bitbucket Pipelines helps me manage and automate a number of serverless deployments to AWS Lambda and this is how I do it. I'm building Node.js Lambda functions using node-lambda&nbsp...

649 views 0 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot