Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips on teams connecting to Stash or bitbucket from Visual Studio and Dreamweaver

Mike Applegate July 11, 2012

I need some help/feedback on the ideal toolset for a new Git repository. We currently use Jira to track bugs and feature requests and it is the primary reason we are looking at the Atlassian offerings for connecting to and managing a Git repository. I am thinking of implementing either Stash or bitbucket but have yet to vet the differences other than on premise vs cloud. Our .NET developers are using Visual Studio and our UI designers (html/css, etc) use Dreamweaver on Mac’s.

It seems that we can just connect directly to the Git repository from Visual Studio. But I am not clear how our design UI team will connect from Dreamweaver? Should they install SourceTree, or is there another preferred method?

Does anyone have experience with teams working together using Stash or bitbucket in a scenario similar to above? Any tips or feedback is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Mike

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
jhinch (Atlassian)
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 11, 2012

SourceTree is a great option if you want a GUI for interacting with Git. A lot of developers and designers at Atlassian use SourceTree all the time. It also has Bitbucket and Stash support and we'll be building better integrations between SourceTree and Stash/Bitbucket in the future so you would get continuous benefit.

In terms of Bitbucket vs Stash it's really about how big your teams size is (Bitbucket being ideal for small teams and Stash being ideal for larger teams or organisations) and whether you are happy hosting your code in the cloud or want to keep it behind the firewall.

Mike Applegate July 11, 2012

Thanks for the feedback Jason. Since we have teams in several geographical locations, I think I will start with bitbucket. It's less pain than getting our IT staff to configure a new server with SSL.

One follow up question: Is there any migration path from bitbucket to stash? Or is it a painless transition if we later go that route?

jhinch (Atlassian)
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 11, 2012

Currently we don't have an in-app feature for importing from Bitbucket into Stash but this is something we'll be looking at in the future. That said, if you have only a few repositories its fairly easy to create new repositories on Stash and push the existing repository from bitbucket to Stash and for a larger number of repositories you can script it via our REST APIs

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events