cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
  • Community
  • Products
  • Bitbucket
  • Questions
  • The new branch permissions help does not specify how to stop someone from deleting a branch. Why is this? Do we have the ability to prevent the delete?

The new branch permissions help does not specify how to stop someone from deleting a branch. Why is this? Do we have the ability to prevent the delete?

William Demler October 12, 2016

I want to stop users from messing up and deleting master but the new set up does not allow it.  Why?

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
dtao
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 12, 2016

This is supported with our new branch permissions UI, though I admit it could be slightly confusing. Once you actually populate the "Write access" field with something, options appear to allow or disallow rewriting history and deleting the branch.

Screen Shot 2016-10-12 at 9.40.44 AM.png

By not checking the checkbox labeled "Allow deleting this branch," you can effectively prevent the devs on your team from deleting master (or any other branch).

jfolsom January 8, 2019

This is really helpful. The only thing I was wanting to change was the "rewriting history" setting, and it wasn't on the list, so I never actually populated the "Write Access" field. Thanks!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events