Sync repository with web server

Justin Wilson May 20, 2013

I use free hosting, and most if not all free hosting services that I have considered switching to do not allow SSH. Is there a way to push locally to my Bitbucket repository and have it update on my website? SFTP? or....?

I'm just looking for a more streamlined way to update my site, without using an FTP client and dropping in/deleting/updating files.

I'm rather new to git/version control, so as much detail as possible would be best, please.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Justin Wilson June 6, 2013

Best solution I have found is to use Heroku is you need free hosting, and your site is relatively lightweight. Heroku supports Git, PHP and has add-ons (like email handling) that are pretty handy. Obviously SSH is supported, and you can bring in Bitbucket or Github repositories, so everything hooks in and automatically updates.

1 vote
m
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 27, 2013

You can actually host a website on Bitbucket. Then, you can push to the site. Check this page:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/BITBUCKET/Publishing+a+Website+on+Bitbucket

Justin Wilson May 28, 2013

Thanks for the tip, Mary. My concerns though, are: does my webhost need git or SSH access, then (because it has neither..)?

If PHP is not allowed, does that mean a contact form would not work?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events