Stop receiving notifications for a pull request until pull request is ready

Regarding this scenario:

1. Adam submits a pull request
  2. Bob reviews the request and provides feedback. It needs work before it can be merged.
  3. Adam continues working on the pull request, pushing changes as necessary.

How can Bob stop receiving email notifications for this pull request until Adam thinks it's ready for another code review?

Unwatching the pull request stops all notifications. In that case, how does Adam indicate that the pull request is ready for another round of code reviews (which should send Bob an email notification)?

I am using Bitbucket Server v4.7.1 (formerly known as Stash).

2 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

Bob should only commit his changes and not push them until he is ready for the pull request to be reviewed again. This way, the pull request remains in the "needs work" state until the previous feedback has been addressed.

Alternatively, if the changes need to be pushed to the sever (for example, if he is working on multiple computers and needs access to his work from all of them) he could create a branch off his pull request's branch that addresses the feedback. When he is finished addressing the feedback, he can merge that branch into his pull request and push it up, resetting the "needs work" state.

This widget could not be displayed.

For now, the only option I think is for Bob to decline the PR. After Adam works on review comments, he can create a new PR.

We don't do that though. We keep the PR open and create PR tasks for Adam to work on. It will, of course, send notifications but we've got to live with it I think!

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Aug 21, 2018 in Bitbucket

Branch Management with Bitbucket

As a project manager, I have discovered that different developers want to bring their previous branching method with them when they join the team. Some developers are used to performing individual wo...

1,352 views 8 11
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you