Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stash's infinite scroll is causing visual artifacts?

Kelly Schoenhofen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 2, 2013

We have ~150 engineers using Stash at five different sites, some fairly far away. There seems to be a trend that groups of engineers at remote locations are reporting what I would term "visual artifacts" in Stash, specifically the project list. Users are sending me screenshots of sets of projects repeating themselves in the UI, often after about the 25th project. I'm guessing this is from infinite scroll, and I'm guessing that perhaps network latency is the cause of this. It's across all browsers, so it's like the javascript is failing in some way. It doesn't stop them from using Stash - it just confuses them when they keep scrolling and see a block of projects repeating. Any ideas on how to fix this? Is anyone else seeing this?

-Kelly

4 answers

0 votes
Adam
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 9, 2013

You should note that Stash's paging mechanism isn't tolerant of projects being added or removed while you're viewing the list. If that happens, the numbering is offset and you may see repeated projects (when projects were added) or omitted projects (when projects were removed) when the next page is requested.

This is normally not an issue for customers as projects and repositories aren't added and removed often, so the chance of hitting this case is low. Ensuring this works without glitches would require changes to all our AJAX communication, as well as storing our data in a versioned database. We didn't think the technical overhead was worth fixing this edge case.

If you believe this is causing you a lot of grief, please open a JIRA issue at https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/STASH so we at least recondiser it.

I'm not certain that this is your problem, but it may be.

Kelly Schoenhofen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 10, 2013

Well, I can see that being the cause in a few of the instances, and I appreciate the information. I wouldn't expect you to try to address the edge case of projects being added causing visual artifacts.

That said, I reached out to a group of developers that are all experiencing this and they confirmed it's still occurring, day or night. No projects or repos are being added, removed or moved during these times. They can make it happen almost at will. None of the duplication occurs until the end (or so) of the first page of projects; after the fold they get a duplication of repos. The # duplicated looks like it's always the same for each developer, 14 duplicated repos. I'm not sure if that's resolution based or how that # is determined.

Edit: I need to upgrade us to 2.8 and see if this persists, we're still on 2.7. My prior comment said we upgraded to 2.8, I was mistaken. I had just gotten back from Summit and I was drunk with all the images still.

Kelly Schoenhofen
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 10, 2013

One more comment - this only happens to developers. I would not be suprised in the slightest that Eclipse, or some add-on to their system, is the root cause of ajax/javascript acting up. In fact, virtually every screenshot sent to me of this clearly shows Eclipse/et al running behind the browser.

I haven't gotten a single report of this from a regular user with a clean OS.

(correlation isn't causation, but it's still data)

-Kelly

Cathy Sanders October 10, 2013

I started up Rational Application Developer in the background, but still can't seem to get the repeating projects to show up for me. But agree that there could be something special going on with people reporting the issue but an Eclipse based to in and of itself doesn't seem to do it for me.

cofarrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 30, 2013

Hi Kelly,

Is it still occuring? I would be surprised (and very worried) if Eclipse/RAD was causing this issue. If one of your developers could send us the network traffic of this happening that might shed some light on the problem. You can use Chrome to record the requests and create a HAR file.

Cheers,

Charles

Cathy Sanders January 8, 2014

Kelly,

I'm also curious as to whether your users are still seeing this as well. The user that originally raised the issue in our environment actually updated our internal JIRA issue stating that the issue could be closed as they are no longer seeing the problem. I don't know if the resolution was a result of our upgrade to 2.8.4 or not as it is not something we had them check directly after the upgrade and she mentioned not seeing the problem in the last 3 weeks but we upgraded about 5 weeks ago.

Thanks,

Cathy

Kelly Schoenhofen
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 9, 2014

Thanks for the reminder. I checked with the users who had the worst time of it, and they all would go along with that that sometime in November the issue quit happening. That's also about when we upgraded (we're actually on 2.10.1 now).

Well, this was definitely an issue, but it seems to have stopped. Nobody has seen it for almost two months.

0 votes
Kelly Schoenhofen
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 9, 2013

Thanks Cathy for not making me feel crazy ;) I also haven't been able to reproduce it. They have sent me screenshots that clearly show it happening so I believe them, I just can't reproduce it myself. I'm also the system admin. Most of my users are also on Chrome. And we're now up to 2.8 and I was still getting screenshots of duplication on 2.7.

0 votes
Cathy Sanders October 9, 2013

It may not be totally related to network latency. I have had users report something similar and they are connected to our LAN. It is something that I personally haven't been able to recreate, but wasn't sure if it had anything to do with the fact that I have Stash system administrator rights. I have not opened a support issue regarding this as I haven't found a way to recreate. I know the issue was still presenting itself to those users after upgrading to 2.6.3 and most users were on Chrome.

0 votes
ThomasA
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 2, 2013

Hi Kelly,

That sounds like a bug in Stash, could please raise a support issue at https://support.atlassian.com/ and attach a support zip?

Thanks,

Tom.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events