Stash not starting after running "service atlstash start" (centos 6.6)

Anton Strootz July 27, 2015

Hello,

I was attempting to set up stash to use SSL (following the directions found here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/STASH/Securing+Stash+with+Tomcat+using+SSL).  Before today stash has been up and running for 2 months with no issues.

After searching through my system, I made 2 changes: server.xml and creating a key through the java keytool.

For server.xml, first I copied server.xml into server-backup.xml, then made changes to server.xml.  Then I ran the java keytool to create a self-signed certificate using the instructions on the page.  After stopping stash and re-starting it, I was then unable to access the stash web-page.  I gave it a few minutes and tried again.  Then I checked service atlstash status, and it told me "Stash is not running".

I then rolled back my changes (changed server-backup.xml back to server.xml, and deleted the key made by the java keytool), and rebooted the server.  After the server came back online, I then ran "service atlstash start" and it did its usual pop-up script.  Then running "service atlstash status" I get "Stash is not running".  I've tried restarting both the server and stash again, but stash now won't start.

What can I do to get this back up and running again?

Edit: Further details after researching into the issue

From "opt/atlassian/stash/3.8.0/logs/catalina.out" the last few lines have all contained variations of:

/opt/atlassian/stash/3.8.0/bin/catalina.sh: line 399: /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.8.0-openjdk-1.8.0.51-0.b16.el6_6.x86_64/jre/bin/bin/java: No such file or directory

note that I have 12 different versions of java in the folder "/usr/lib/jvm", and at this point I have tried setting the java home directory as each and every single one of them.  I've also checked that in each of them, there is a file named java.  So I don't know why it can't detect any of these when that data is there for it to see.  I have also tried restarting the server, or just restarting my connection each time that I change the java home directory.  So at least my problem has been narrowed down, but I still don't know how to fix it.

1 answer

0 votes
Charles Olivier July 27, 2015

Hi Colin,

The problem seems to be related to this section of the error message .../jre/bin/bin/java. My guess is that you are exporting JAVA_HOME and including the bin folder, the JAVA_HOME variable should contain the path to your JDK and not the bin folder. In your case try exporting JAVA_HOME like this:

export JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.8.0-openjdk-1.8.0.51-0.b16.el6_6.x86_64/jre/

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events