Stash not sending SMTP un-authenticated email messages

Jim Leary August 27, 2013

Testing out Stash email capability, but it does not seem to be working. With Confluence and Jira, I can successfully send a test email message to my address via our mail server on port 25 without authentication. Configuring Stash the same way, I get the "A test email was sent to the above address" message, but I never receive the test message on my account as I do with Confluence and Jira.

I also tested this by just making up an authentication account and password and then trying to send the message. I see errors in the atlasssian-stash-email log file that shows authentication was unsuccessful, so I know it is at least trying to send email.

On the Exchange side, I see in the logs incoming SMTP messages from Jira and Confluence, but none from the Stash application.

This is a 30-day trial of Stash, btw. Not sure if that makes a difference. It seems to me Stash will not send an un-authenticated email to a SMTP server as Jira and Confluence will do.

2 answers

0 votes
cofarrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 30, 2013

Hi Jim,

We've seen some issues with connecting to Exchange in the past. Just to clarify - Stash basically uses the default Java mail handling, we don't do anything special.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/STASH-3482

In some cases people have had luck replacing the mail jar (if you follow the links to JRA-27623). That's not ideal - and quite often my understanding the problem may just be configuration. See Jason's comment on the ticket above.

Is it possible to post your errors here? If not, or in any case, did you mind raising a support ticket with all your logs so we can assist you further.

Cheers,

Charles

0 votes
Jim Leary August 27, 2013

I have confirmed that Stash will not send email to a SMTP server without credentials. This is different behavior from how Jira and Confluence function.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events