Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stash logs clean up or archiving

Derek Nguyen May 4, 2015

Does anyone have information on anyone have any information on if there is any log cleanup or backup?

Interested in mainly the atlassian-stash-access.log but info on all or any of them would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2 answers

0 votes
Derek Nguyen May 11, 2015

According to Charles O'Farrell in https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/259156, logs are removed every month.

I think I found this setting in atlassian-stash/WEB-INF/classes/logback.xml.  But it looks like for atlassian-stash-access.log the purging is done every 10 days:

<maxHistory>10</maxHistory>

This should explain the atlassian-stash-access logs on our server going back only 10 days.

Does anyone know if changing this is safe?

Thanks

cofarrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 11, 2015

Hi Derek, That is the logback file with the correct settings. Depends on your definition of "safe" though. The biggest problem you're going to run in to is upgrading Stash. Normally you would just unzip the Stash install and overwrite that file. Now you're going to have to "merge" both copies. Keep in mind that new versions of that file may contain important or relevant changes to the logging depending on what happened that release. If you're adding new appenders my might be interested in this post: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/188880/how-do-i-control-logging-in-an-atlassian-stash-plugin Other than that though, there's no specific danger in changing the settings - but the advice is always to keep a backup of the file just in case something goes wrong. Charles

Derek Nguyen May 11, 2015

Hi Charles, Thanks for the quick and helpful response! I think we will implement a regular backup/archiving of the access logs as we need them for metrics, export control record keeping and possible debugging. But if we change the settings to keep the logs longer, we are already documenting and version controlling certain config files or setup scripts that we update and will do the same with the logback.xml. Thanks, Derek

Robbin Bonthond
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 11, 2015

I'm pulling all the stash logs into splunk for archiving and parsing

0 votes
Balázs Szakmáry
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 4, 2015

There is no automatic clean-up or backup of the logs, you need to set up a task outside of Stash for this.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events