Stash for IT operations

Matt Woolery April 19, 2017

My company has most of the Atlassian suite, mostly geared toward software development.  I work in IT operations, and I'm looking for a good way to organize our scripts.  We want the version control of Stash (Bitbucket now i guess), but since each script is small, they really don't warrant an individual repository.  Example of a script would be bash or powershell that does something like 'Create local users and do X'.  A few lines of code. 

Right now, i have a project for the whole department, with a repository for each subgroup.  This let's us submit code with git - but it isn't great for searching for a script.

Anyone on the ops side of the house that has some examples of how you are doing revision control?

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
jredmond
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 20, 2017

Why not just put all the scripts together into a single repo, or a small set of repos? You'd be able to categorize better; it'd be easier for new teammates to find things; and it'd be easier to deploy updates as necessary.

Matt Woolery April 20, 2017

That's what we are doing now, however you really can't search for anything other than the script name.  If you had 100 scripts in the same repo, being able to search within the script would make things alot easier.  Would be great if you could create directories like is possible in github.

What do you mean by categorize - maybe there is a feature we aren't yet using?

Thanks for the response

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 26, 2017

Hi Gaurav! You mentioned that "being able to search within the script would make things alot easier". At the moment that feature is not available, but we’re working on it and it'll be coming in the near future. I recommend you to watch https://bitbucket.org/site/master/issues/2874/abil ity-to-search-source-code-bb-39 for more information and updates :) Have a look at our official response at the top of all the comments. Hope this helps!

Have a good day,

Ana

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events