Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stash backup client - 401 Unauthorized

Matt Wilson November 6, 2013

I have been unable to get the backup client working. I get the error "A backup could not be created. Reason: The Stash version could not be verified; the server returned 401 Unauthorized.".

This is odd because /rest/api/latest/application-properties is available to un-authenticated requests, returning {"version":"2.8.2","buildNumber":"2008002","buildDate":"1381752258426","displayName":"Stash"}

I have stash.user set to a dedicated user with ownership of the installation & home dir's.

What am I doing wrong?

Please advise.

-Rich.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Matt Wilson November 7, 2013

Hi Brent,

Thanks for your response.

I had tried both a stash user & a system user in backup-config.properties, but I had been enclosing the password in quotes which caused the the same issue regardless - oops.

It's all working now.

Cheers,

-Rich

1 vote
Brent P
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 6, 2013

Hi Rich,

There are two users involved in the backup:

1. The OS user that runs the backup client - This user needs to have ownership of the Stash home directory.
  2. A user in Stash with system admin privileges - The backup client uses this user's credentials to lock Stash and request a database backup.

It sounds like you've put the OS user in the backup-config.properties file instead of the Stash system admin user.

If that doesn't help or I've misunderstood you, please raise a support request and we'll help figure this out: https://support.atlassian.com/browse/SSP

-- Brent

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events