Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stash + MySQL - under 1 host?

Ivan Varbanov October 24, 2013

Hello Guys,

we are exploring Stash + MySQL + AD implementation. I have it up and running, linked the AD. Everything seems good. I can't find in the documentation the best practices to run Stash and MySQL? Obviosly MySQL should be accessble for Stash but what is the best practice - should they be on same machine? Most probably my production Stash installation would be on virtual machine, run with specific linux user and running as a daemon. We have NetApp storage on which I can create a NFS mount and that mount to be for the MySQL for example. I'm curious what is the best approach where the MySQL db to be - on the same server on local hdd, on different server local hdd (special MySQL server only for Stash) or different server/same server with NFS export? Our users are around 30-40 which isn't that much but I want to choose the best option for us. Can you please advise what is the best approach where the MySQL db to be placed?

Also that is the same with the data folder of Stash.

Thank you.

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 24, 2013

Hi Ivan,

The best option is to have the DB on the same machine as Stash, this will avoid problems with your network having an impact on your performance. But placing it on a different server is ofcourse also an option. Placing them on the same machine will ofcourse mean that they will need to share the resources (cpu, mem,...) on this machine but with your user base and size that shouldn't be a real problem.

The most important part is doing regular backups of your DB, and regularly checking that you can import a DB backup into your DB again.

Best regards,

Peter

0 votes

Yeah, that's for sure. Backups should be regularly checked!I'll explore more the backup client.

Thank you for your kind reponses!

0 votes
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 24, 2013

Hi Ivan,

That looks like a good backup solution, but you should still regularly check if your backups do actually work (I've had one client who didn't do this, they had a hardware failure in their DB server and had to put a backup onto a new server : it did not work which caused them a whole bunch of problems), they now do it very regularly.

Best regards,

Peter

0 votes

Hello Peter,

thank you for your prompt reply! As for the backups I'm oriented to use Stash Backup Client. From your experience would that save me from future troubles?

Thank you!

Best Regards

Ivan

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events