Stash 3.8 installed fine with server.xml file in same Installation/conf directory

Alicia Pena April 20, 2015

I upgraded to stash 3.8 using .tar.gz in staging and left the server.xml file under the $STASH_INST/conf directory and it came up fine. However, the upgrade and readme documentation indicate that  in version 3.8 it's location must be changed to home/shared and the mysql driver should also be moved to stash home/lib.  It seems to be running fine with both files in the old installation directories.  Do I really need to move them from installation directories to home directories?  https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/STASH/Stash+upgrade+guide

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
ThiagoBomfim
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 20, 2015

Hi Alicia,

As you observed it will work if you don't have the files under the STASH_HOME.

However, as of 3.8, we changed Stash to source these files from STASH_HOME so when customers upgrade, there is no need to manually update the new installation with previous customizations (i.e. MySQL driver or server.xml).

To explain it further, our upgrade process basically consists of (this is all done by the installer and no manual intervention is required):

• Download the newest binaries and deploy them from scratch onto your system in a directory different to the previous Stash release installation
  • Point these new binaries to the existing STASH_HOME 

You see? The content of the STASH_INSTALLATION always changes (they are always fresh from the installers we release) but the STASH_HOME is the one that is kept with your data through the upgrade process. Hence changing the code to source those files from STASH_HOME ensures that customers won't have to execute these steps manually after each upgrade in the future.

In case you have files in both directories, Stash will prioritize the ones on STASH_HOME for the same reasons.

Kind regards,
Thiago Bomfim

1 vote
Alicia Pena April 21, 2015

Thank you for the explaination.  I have my own scripts that wget the tar.gz package, installs it, diffs our customized files in our installation directory with yours and makes the changes accordingly, with an echo to the screen to make sure it's done properly.  Sounds like maybe I should try using your installer now and decommission my custom scripts.

Best Regards,

Alicia

ThiagoBomfim
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 23, 2015

Hi Alicia! Definitely! We've been improving our installer to accommodate your needs and it now has an upgrade flow. Please use it and give us your feedback.

0 votes
Alicia Pena April 21, 2015

Shouldn't the new tar.gz installation package exclude the server.xml file now that it's supposed to live under home?  What about the web.xml file?  Could that be moved to home as well?  My scripts modfiy both of those files for our own customization as well as modify the INST start and stop .sh files and our environment settings.

Alicia

0 votes
Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 20, 2015

We recommend you move the files to the new location for long term stability during other upgrades.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events