Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sourcetree cherry pick error

Fred Wood August 25, 2014

I have tried to cherry pick a commit but it never works, I always get this error message:

git -c diff.mnemonicprefix=false -c core.quotepath=false -c credential.helper=sourcetree cherry-pick 1ff4d770a1d6316b54b9718a56b36672036d593c
error: Commit 1ff4d770a1d6316b54b9718a56b36672036d593c is a merge but no -m option was given.
fatal: cherry-pick failed
Completed with errors, see above

Any idea what is causing this problem and what I can do to correct it?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Balázs Szakmáry
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 31, 2014

This is (the lack of) a feature: cherry-picking/reverting merge commits is currently not possible in SourceTree.

I already created an issue about it. Please upvote it here.

Fred Wood August 31, 2014

Thanks for the reply – I will upvote your issue.

So then what is cherry-picking, and why does SourceTree have a command that does nothing?

Balázs Szakmáry
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 1, 2014

"Given one or more existing commits, apply the change each one introduces, recording a new commit for each." (= duplicate a commit to another branch, in most cases)

SourceTree does implement this correctly, but only for commits which are not merge commits (= commits with multiple parents in the graph).

modrallm April 2, 2020

Still not fixed, apparently.

0 votes
Fred Wood August 28, 2014

Can anyone shed light on this? I don't understand what is wrong.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events