SourceTree hangs when pushing to svn repo

Jeremy Conlin April 16, 2012

I've been using SourceTree for a couple of weeks. Previously I used svn and SourceTree has been my bridge between the new (and wonderful?) world of git and the old world of svn.

Everything was working fine, except now when I push my git changes to the svn repository it hangs when synchronising. (See attached screen shot.) The only thing I've done is upgrade from OS X 10.6 to 10.7; my svn repo is on a remote disk. Is there a log file somewhere I can look at to see why it hangs? Can anyone help me figure out how to make this work?

Thanks,

Jeremy

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 16, 2012

This isn't a hang as such, simply SourceTree waiting for the command to continue - therefore the only log is really what you're already looking at.

The most common cause of this issue is authentication; occasionally svn doesn't flush the user/password prompts in a non-terminal meaning that SourceTree ends up waiting forever. One thing that seems to stop this happening is to include your username in your SVN URL, e.g. https://username@host.com/path/to/svn/repo . Another way is to drop to the command line briefly and execute 'svn info SVN_URL', to make svn cache your authentication and therefore avoid the issue. So far I haven't found a way to avoid this problem in all cases except to modify the svn executable, but luckily it doesn't happen that often and these workarounds tend to resolve it.

My svn repository is on a network drive that I access with file:///… with subversion; I don't use http(s).

I tried doing svn info file:///path/to/svn/repo to cache my authentication. I am able to see the information about the repository, but SourceTree still has the same issue.

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 16, 2012

Oh, that's very odd then. What happens if you try 'git svn dcommit' on the command line?

Unfortunately, I don't have git installed on the command line. I don't have admin access to use the binary installer and I've been unsuccessful in compiling from source.

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 16, 2012

The only other thing I can think of is that the Subversion install is maybe missing the perl bindings which git uses. You mentioned 10.7, but maybe this might help: http://victorquinn.com/blog/2012/02/19/fix-git-svn-in-mountain-lion/

Right now SourceTree doesn't package Subversion (since it's not really a Subversion client, just interoperates) and just assumes you have everything installed.

Jeremy Conlin April 17, 2012

I did have this working without a problem when I was on 10.6. I tried a variety of things and finally decided it was easier to re-clone whatever was in the svn repository and start from scratch. I did this on a 10.6 machine. I don't thin this is a problem with SourceTree, but rather the unique circumstances of my setup.

Thanks for the help.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events