Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SourceTree can't detect SSH Keys installed on OSX any more - anyone else experiencing this?

Prem Mariappan February 8, 2017

I've been using Bitbucket / Hg / SourceTree using SSH on OSX / MacOS for many years.

With the recent upgrade to (SourceTree v2.4) it can't detect the SSH keys installed on the system and has changed all the repo remote settings over to HTTPS.  When I attempt to add the SSH key via SourceTree (SourceTree -> Preferences -> Accounts) it says "no key found", even though I can confirm that the SSH agent is running and the keys I've been using are loaded.

I have no issues using Hg from the CLI when I correct the hgrc remote setting back from https to SSH (SourceTree attempts to 'correct' the error and changes all the SSH remote settings to HTTPS upon opening each repo)

Anyone else experiencing this?  Any ideas on how to solve this issue?  

Thank you.

7 answers

10 votes
manolesc_test January 3, 2019

At lease for me, the issue was the the ssh agent used by Sourcetree did not have the key loaded. 

I fixed this by:

1. Click the Console button
  2. In the new CLI console, type
    ssh-add -K ~/.ssh/<git_key_name>
  3. Back in the Sourcetree UI, try doing a fetch an verify the log output
Gordon Van Dyke January 28, 2021

Where can I find the git_key_name?

Like Zhanat likes this
2 votes
Tony Coyle May 16, 2017

I'm on SourceTree 2.5.1 and I'm seeing the same buggy behaviour. `ssh-add -l` from  shell shows me several identifies.  Two of which have been loaded up into my Bitbucket account. Using one of those identities I can connect to Bitbucket successfully using `ssh git@bitbucket.org` without problem and get the logged out of the shell as expected. Yet the Bitbucket account in SourceTree refuses to acknowledge/use either of these SSH keys/identieis and simply says, 'No key found', provides no way of selecting one, only giving you the ability to generate one.

@Prem Mariappan to bug report doesn't seem visible?

1 vote
Steven Smith December 7, 2017

My macbook pro is on 2.6.3. Whenever I make an SSH key it works, then if I exit source tree and return, it doesn't. If I go into my account settings, I can see it pointing to the correct key, but it won't use it (or maybe it forgets the password for the key). I need to add it to ssh agent according to https://confluence.atlassian.com/bbkb/permission-denied-publickey-302811860.html

1 vote
Prem Mariappan February 8, 2017

Bug Report: STSP-5957

0 votes
Shrikant July 5, 2022

Can any one help me with this? I'm using SourceTree version 4.1.8.

0 votes
Bowofola Fadojutimi June 19, 2020

For me, i just had to delete the ssh keys in `~/.ssh` and regenerate new keys. Sourcetree was able to upload them into my github account and clone repositories again.

Saravanakumar P November 18, 2020

Hi Bowofola, 

Its sounds good.. Even I tried same but key not uploaded to github. Can I know which version of sourcetree you are using ?

Like reda_meyer likes this
0 votes
Jacob Andersen February 16, 2017

Yes, I was fighting this problem today and just ended up with an ugly fix:

1. allowed SourceTree to generate the keys
  2. deleted the newly generated key files right away (in my case ~/.ssh/jacobandersen-Bitbucket and ~/.ssh/jacobandersen-Bitbucket.pub)
  3. and made copies of the correct key files (in my case ~/.ssh/id_rsa and ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub) with the names above.

Thus ending up with two identical sets of keys in my ~/.ssh

Ugly, but it seems to work...

Hope it will help

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events