Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SourceTree Refusing to Load Bitbucket Repository

Cornelius Eanes April 12, 2014

NOTE: I am very new to using SourceTree, Putty, Pageant, and Bitbucket. I am using SourceTree 1.5.1 on a Windows 7 operating system.

I've been at this for about 2 hours now, and after viewing several supposed answers, I get the same exact error each time. I'll walk you through the process that I'm doing.

1. I Open SourceTree.

2. This is where I encounter the first sign of problems. On everyone else's window, hovering over the "Tools" tab brings up several options, one being "Launch SSH Agent (Pageant)", but instead, I get "Launch SSH Agent..."

3. Clicking that option doesn't bring up an interface. It does, however, create a hidden icon. Left-clicking it doesn't do anything.

4. I go back to the "Tools" tab, and click on Create or Import SSH Keys. I generate a random key and get this screen. Nothing strange.

5. I save my public and private keys to the "C:/Users/Neil/.ssh" directory under the names of "ssh1_public" and "ssh1_private.ppk".

6. I then go to the repository that I'm testing this on, and copy the HTTPS repo link.

7. I then go back to SourceTree, click on "Clone / New", and paste in the link. I am then greeted with this message:

8. I click "Yes", then open up Pageant from the group of hidden icons, right-click it, then click on "Add key". I add my "ssh1_private.ppk" file.

9. I get the exact same message from before. Now if I click on "No", it brings up this message:

10. It then becomes a continuous loop of the exact same error messages.

Could someone please point out what I am doing wrong?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Cornelius Eanes April 23, 2014

I figured it out a while ago, and forgot about this post. When you generate the key using Putty, you need to copy the key that's in the Putty window right after it generates a new key (it will start with "ssh-rsa"), and paste that into Bitbucket's key-loading system.

1 vote
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 13, 2014

Firstly, thanks for the detailed description of the problem.

There should be a step where you upload your public key to BitBucket. This will happen through Bitbucket's web interface, not through SourceTree.

Cornelius Eanes April 13, 2014

Now I'm getting another problem. When SourceTree generates it's public and private keys (and I've tried this with SSH1, SSH2 RSA, and SSH2 DSA), BitBucket won't accept it as a valid SSH key. However, using Git Bash generates public and private keys that BitBucket will accept, but SourceTree won't.

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 13, 2014

Load your key in PuTTYgen and use "Conversions" > "Export OpenSSH Key..." to get a Linux-compatible SSH public key. This is a quirk of PuTTYgen, not SourceTree.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events