Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[SourceTree] How to use a local Mercurial installation?

Antoine Pérus October 22, 2011

I have a local Mercurial installation in /sw/bin (more recent than the one used by SourceTree). I made 2 symlinks in /usr/local/bin and /usr/bin but SourceTree doesn't find them when I click on "Utiliser Mercurial Système" (Use System Mercurial?) button in Preferences… . How can I change the Hg binary used by SourceTree?

Thanks,

Antoine

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 22, 2011

Becuase the vast majority of Mercurial is installed in your Python library ('hg' is just a simple script which starts Python and loads the libraries), the location of the hg script isn't actually very useful. So instead, SourceTree invokes Python, imports the mercurial package and asks where it's located. This will work regardless of where the 'hg' script is located - unless your command-line Python install is different to the system install perhaps.

However, this may be academic anyway if you're using hg 1.9, please see http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/SOURCETREEKB/Error+Message+-+Patching+Mercurial+failed . Now that 1.9.3 is out which fixes the nasty merge bug on OS X, SourceTree will support 1.9+ soon - once the extensions that 1.9 broke are updated to work with it.

Antoine Pérus October 22, 2011

Thank you for the quick answer. I've forced the use of my Python 2.7 with 1.9.3 Mercurial but SourceTree failed with some private unnamed extensions. I'll wait the next ST release but if I had the list of needed extensions I could try with my local installation?

Regards,

Antoine

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 23, 2011

You can see the extensions SourceTree uses on the Preferences page - in terms of 1.9 though the main remaining problem is hgattic (for shelve/unshelve). I'm in the process of adapting it for 1.9 because the original author hasn't done it, and I can't find any definitive versions yet - it's in the public domain here: https://bitbucket.org/sinbad/hgattic

0 votes
Max Grigoriev November 14, 2011

Hi,

Any news about supporting new mercurial versions? We realy neeed use large files support [2.0 mercurial version] and now it's impossible because SourceTree can't work with such repositories.

Thanks,

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 14, 2011

SourceTree 1.3 is using Mercurial 2.0 by default, there will be a beta at the end of this week.

Max Grigoriev November 14, 2011

"SourceTree 1.3 is using Mercurial 2.0 by default, there will be a beta at the end of this week."

Wow - great

0 votes
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 22, 2011

I just have a mercurial server started serving all my local repositories to any of my systems including SourceTree and Bamboo.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events