[Solved]Restoring bare repository on to limited exceeded repository

Jason Jarvis January 18, 2018

I've been working on a project for a year and a half. recently we decided to use Large File System to handle our repo which was creeping up to 2gb.

We followed the instructions using the BFG tool to use lfs. However once complete the repo grew to 2.5 gb. I tried following instructions for aggressive gc and prune command, but that hasn't resulted in any size improvement.  The problem now is that we are locked in read only mode.

The instructions had making a bare copy of the repo. I would like to restore this repo so we can at least get out of read only mode. However, I can't git push --force on the bare repo because the system is locked out.

I'm wondering what can be done to get back to the 1.9gb repo again so we can see about trying another way to reduce the repo size.

PS: My git fu is ppor. Any help with explicit instructions and how it works would be very helpful. At this time I'm browsing google for potential solutions, but nothing has worked so far.

1 answer

0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 19, 2018

Hi Jason, are you on Server or Cloud? If you're in Cloud, can you let us know the name of the repo so we can have a look?

Sometimes after the steps have been followed some new references are created, which are automatically cleaned after some time. If you're certain that you reduced the size of the repo as explained at Reduce repository size you can just clone the reduced repository as a new one and it will show the correct size (note that in order to use the push --force you first need to do a reset as many commits back as to get it under 2GB).

Cheers!

Ana

Jason Jarvis January 19, 2018

Thank you very much. I became desperate last night and made a ticket support at the Atlassian. Thank you very much. Some one did a garbage clean on the repo last night on the server. This morning I found out that our system is so much better. It's not 600mb.

Thank you to the team for helping us with this.

I noticed that our LFS storage is 2.7gb my questions are

* I think LFS was run twice while trying to figure out. Would one the GC clean out the original.

* I hear LFS is uncompressed. Would the 2.7 be normal for a game project of 1.9gb

* Is the 5gb lfs storage on a per project, or is it a shared storage space among all projects?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events