Slow git push on local Bitbucket server

Yaelk October 22, 2017

Hi all,

We installed a Bitbucket server in intention to migrate from our current GitBlit server.

However, when executing git push to local large repositories (~15GB) we experience an unexpected slowness in Bitbucket in comparison to the same git push command in GitBlit.

Upload rate for Bitbucket server - ~2.5MB
Upload rate for GitBlit server - ~10MB

Both servers are identical in resources (CPU/MEM) and networking means. Both websites are configured to use HTTPS and certificate is signed with our organization's CA.

Server logs didn't reveal any relevant information.

I would appreciate your input and suggestions for this issue!

Thanks,
Yael

3 answers

0 votes
Sebastian Fiebig November 10, 2017

Hi together,

I' ve got a very similar problem under Centos with Bitbucket Server 5.3.1. Things like clone etc. work as expected, but pushing is like 10 times slower than expected. The CPU is going from idle to 99% for the time of pushing. The problem does occur not only for large repos, but also for newly created ones.

I'm open for any ideas, as I couldn't get infos out from the logs.

Regards,

Sebastian

0 votes
Yaelk November 2, 2017

Does anyone have another suggestion?

Caterina Curti
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 2, 2017

Hi Yael,

I would recommend raising a ticket with the Atlassian Support (https://support.atlassian.com/contact/) so that our team can review all details of the installation and provide an analysis.

The team will also need the Git local client log and a Support Zip:

1. Turn debug and profiling log
  2. Enable Git debug log (client side)
  3. Reproduce the issue (push the repository)
  4. Share a Support Zip and the client side log

Enable debug and profiling log

Administrator>>Support>>Logging and profiling and click to check/enable "Enable debug logging" and "Enable profiling"

Enable Git debug log (client side)

Turn Debug logging on for Git locally on Linux

export GIT_TRACE_PACKET=1
export GIT_TRACE=1
export GIT_CURL_VERBOSE=1

Turn Debug logging on for Git locally on Windows

set GIT_TRACE_PACKET=1
set GIT_TRACE=1
set GIT_CURL_VERBOSE=1

Cheers,

Caterina

rajanibs January 30, 2019

Is there any solution to it? We are using a git push command to add a tag to the head, but it is keep on failing after sometime.

0 votes
Caterina Curti
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 22, 2017

Hi Yael,  

The first items to check are the resources of the server (CPU / MEM) against the Supported Platforms.

Also, the Git version (on the server and on the clients) will be an important factor to consider.

If you are running Bitbucket Server on Windows, have a look at the Git push operations extremely slow on Windows page as well.

Cheers,

Caterina

Yaelk October 26, 2017

Hi Caterina,

Thanks for the response. 

I followed to Supported Platforms page when I first created/installed the server, and I see memory is not fully utilized when performing the push operation.

I installed the newest git version on both the linux server and windows client (from which I run push operation).

Also, the bitbucket process on the linux server is run by by atlbitbucket local user, defined as suggested.

Do you have any more ideas?

Thanks,
Yael

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events