Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Skipping Builds After Commit

William Livesley July 22, 2016

I have a pipeline which performs a build, increments the package version and commits and pushes the result back into the branch. Currently this causes an infinite build cycle.

In other systems, it is possible to prevent this by including a special tag in the commit message; for example including [ci skip] in the commit message.

Can this be done?

One way would be to switch branch in the script and check the updated code into a branch which does not trigger a pipeline. I was wondering if there is an alternative?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jeroen De Raedt
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 22, 2016

Hi William,

we had a similar issue with some of our projects that use maven. To solve the issue we created a separate 'release' branch. Our workflow looks like this: 

• user creates a branch from master (e.g. my-feature-branch)
  • when the work is done, the user merges his branch (e.g. through a pull request) to 'release' branch
  • the release branch then does the actual release (in your case incrementing the package version) and merges this back to master branch

Let me know if this helped you?

William Livesley July 23, 2016

That was my assumption as well so it's good to have an independent confirmation. I have implemented a similar workflow and it works. Thanks for your help.

I would still prefer to have some way of preventing a specific build.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events