Sign-up CAPTCHA for BitBucket doesn't work in Firefox/Ubuntu

Jon Hinks July 20, 2016

(Apologies for the Atlassian bug report here - I have spent at least thirty minutes going around support channels in the Atlassian system to report a bug for their benefit, and would like to have it recorded somewhere - various attempts to report this bug have been prevented by permission issues and other frustrating hurdles).

I recently received an invitation to join a Bitbucket group, and was having trouble getting past the second screen (name/email/username was fine), it kept saying that something was incorrect. I assume, in retrospect, that it was wanting me to complete a CAPTCHA that had not rendered.

I therefore tried signing up for an account first, so I could then accept the invitation without further trouble. A screen (literally!) asked me if I was a robot, but provided no means to prove I am not. It seems that Firefox 47.0/Ubuntu 14.04 does not render the (Google) CAPTCHA device.

I switched temporarily to Chromium and the CAPTCHA device rendered fine. It looks like there is a JS issue either with the Atlassian sign-in system, or perhaps upstream at Google. Initially it looked like NoScript might be at fault, so I disabled this, and the issue persisted.

Should community members know of an easy way to report this to Atlassian in a more correct channel I am all ears, but I am not willing to spend more than a couple more minutes on it!

4 answers

1 vote
Alastair Wilkes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 20, 2016

Thanks Jon - first off, apologies for the issue signing up... and for making it difficult to file a bug report!

We will take a look at this ASAP. Thanks for providing lots of useful info.

Jon Hinks July 20, 2016

Great, thanks Alastair. I think one channel recommended that I should report bugs elsewhere, and then another channel required a support number, and I don't know if my group has one of those. My guess would be that the issue would affect all cases of the CAPTCHA right across Atlassian products, and it'd affect free and paying users, for all products.

Let me know if you need any further technical info to help investigate this.

0 votes
Martin Liprt December 31, 2020

i have this problem in firefox still..recaptcha is something horrible, developers should understands that its not cool even when its from google, its just big mistake..

0 votes
Alastair Wilkes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 5, 2016

Hi Volker,

The issue with the CAPTCHA on the Downloads page is an active issue we are working on fixing. Please follow this issue for updates: https://bitbucket.org/site/master/issues/13118/it-is-impossible-to-use-the-downloads

Sorry about that!

Alastair

0 votes
Volker Siepmann August 5, 2016

I also got issues with the CAPTCHA on the Bitbucket Downloads page. First of all, I do not really understand why I need to prove I am not a robot - when I already am logged into my Bitbucket account. But more disturbingly: Both in Windows 7 (Firefox and Explorer) and on Ubuntu 14.04 (Firefox 48.0, Javascript 1.5), I get the question window rendered, select the correct answers, and the Captcha confirms with a green check mark that I am not a robot (good to know).

But pressing submit, I get only the error message: "The captcha you entered was incorrect." It never lets me pass, so I cannot upload my binary package.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events