Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should Stash and Git be on the same server?

Maggie Stearns March 20, 2014

Hi:

I am setting up Stash and Git and I'm new to both technologies. I am wondering if my Stash application and my git repositories should reside on the same server. I know they don't have to be on the same server and I'm guessing that it's probably easiest to manage when they are separate. Git repositories will potentially be on many different servers and can grow in numbers and size in a less predictable manor than the Stash application. I'm just wondering if there is anything I should keep in mind when setting this up? Are there any best practices related to some of the repositories being on the stash server itself? Thanks!

-Maggie

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Balázs Szakmáry
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 20, 2014

If you put your repositories on a different server, Stash will always need to go through the network to access them when somebody pushes/pulls/clones anything, so performance will be lower.

=> You should have the repositories on the server (can be a different drive), unless you have some special reason for having them on a different machine.

cofarrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 8, 2014

Having your Stash and Git repositories on the same server is a good place to start. If/when you run into space or performance concerns then you can re-evaluate at that point. You might be interested some of our documentation on High Availability:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/STASH/High+availability+for+Stash

Cheers,

Charles

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events