Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should Stash Administrator account be a new account?

Chad DeShaw November 18, 2014

I am currently installing Stash for the first time and configuring setup. Should the Stash Administrator account be a new account and new email separate from my account since I am also a developer and will be making commits and pull requests? I am looking for guidance on best practice here thanks.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Balázs Szakmáry
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 18, 2014

It is better to have one account per person and give the right level of access to individuals as needed. (e.g. if later, you want to have more admins, they should not share the same user/password, if you leave and someone else becomes admin, only the right of your account and theirs are changed.)

I am still confused, the configuration process asks for you to setup the initial administrator account, is it ok for that to be me or should I make it a separate account then use that account to give me the rights I will need?

For example if I make the administrator account me on install and for some reason I got hit by a bus, is there a way for someone else to recover the administrator account password?

Balázs Szakmáry
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 18, 2014

When you install the server, create an initial admin account in the internal directory. Afterwards, connect your user directory via LDAP and give the right people admin rights. Once this is done, you can either remove the initial admin account, or disable the internal directory. If you don't have anything to connect via LDAP, you can skip all this and just create your own account in the internal directory, with admin rights right after installing the server.

2 votes
ThiagoBomfim
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 18, 2014

Hi Chad,

The administrator account can be recovered by someone who also has administrator rights to the server where Stash was installed:

The administrator account will be created with System Administrator Global permissions.

I hope it clarifies.

Best regards,
Thiago Bomfim
Atlassian Support

2 votes
Mike Friedrich
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 18, 2014

I always do both. I create a global adminitrator account for emergency. And all administrators have their own account.

That way we have a fallback if the an admin has lost his password or is not reachable, we can use that to create new admins.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events