Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing an Eclipse Project messes up

aviadm September 23, 2014

Hello,

I'm new to bitbucket, working with it for few days (with SourceTree client).

I'm  working on a project with one more friend, and we share the whole eclipse project directory through the repository.

At the beggining it went pretty well, but now problems started to pop up.

For example, when my friend pulled new updates (without conflicts), his project suddenly became a  real mess. Nothing compiled, the eclipse couldn't find libraries, and once that was fixed eclipse couldn't find some classes, and later even there was a problem with the resources of the project.

I guess it was a bad idea to share the whole project in the repository.

So what I'm basically asking is, how to work correctly with eclipse projects? What do I need to share and what to ignore? Couldn't find any examples on the internet so I came here.

Thanks ahead.

2 answers

1 vote
jjaroczynski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 23, 2014

You can start with ignoring following files:

• .project
  • .classpath

They might be different on different machines so if you copy them blindly then you can expect troubles similar to the ones you described.

Cheers,
Jacek

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 23, 2014

In general, share the source code for your project, don't share config files that your IDE uses. If you need help figuring out what's what, you might take your question to an Eclipse forum. Which source control you use (Git/SourceTree, Hg, SVN, etc) shouldn't really be relevant.

If/when you know what needs to be removed/ignored, but don't know how, come back here with those details.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events