Selective and unrelated Pull Requests in bitbucket

Deleted user September 30, 2013

We are migrating to bitbucket-git this weekend. I've a couple of questions that could potentially put this at risk (we have already selected the migration option though).

Existing workflow -
My team works on a story basis on the trunk. The commits happen on SVN by story id. Once the story is complete, team creates a code review (in Crucible) from JIRA ["Create Review for all the commits" under the source tab].

Once the story has been reviewed, we move the story to a release branch in SVN. This move doesn't include a merge and a new release branch is created after every release. This way the trunk and the release branch are not related on a common node.

With bitbucket, both the above capabilities seems to have been lost. Looks like, I can create a pull request only in the related trees and that too for all the changes at that point in time! I need to pull on the basis of stories and since the release and master are not related, i need a way to merge between these 2 branches.

Please Help!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
MB
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 30, 2013

I believe your problem comes from differences in git and svn (subversion) revision control systems. Bitbucket is just a web UI developed around git (and mercurial to be more precise), which means it's not a lack of features in Bitbucket, but in the git itself. To be even more precise, it's not a lack of feature in the git at all, but it's rather a difference in the approach to versioning algorithms which git and svn use. I would strongly suggest you first search the net a little bit for the differences between svn and git, just to get a clear picture what your issue really is and how to overcome it, while doing the migration. In most cases the migration is possible and usually involves trivial steps, but requires the understanding of both rev. control systems in order to do it the proper way.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events