Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

See all 5 Pull request merge strategies in Bitbucket Cloud

Victor Escutia February 5, 2017

According to https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucketserver/pull-request-merge-strategies-844499235.html, there are 5 different merge strategy options available for merging pull requests, however I can only see 2 of them from my Bitbucket Cloud account:
-Merge commit --no-ff
-Squash --squash

Does Bitbucket Cloud only support 2 out of 5 supported strategies in Bitbucket Server 4.9 or am I missing something?

Thank you beforehand,
Victor

6 answers

15 votes
vinaycareem July 1, 2018

Not having a `rebase + merge --ff-only` option is a deal breaker for me. Could this please be prioritized?

Maroun Maroun March 23, 2019

It's been a year, any updates on this?

Like # people like this
YS July 15, 2019
Markus Torstensson June 16, 2022

gitlab too

8 votes
Miguel Diaz October 10, 2018

Hi guys!

Just a friendly reminder that this option would be quite useful and that actually has been sitting here for quite a while, can we expect to have this option implemented sometime in the (hopefully, near) future?

We are missing the `rebase` option as well.

Thanks!

2 votes
Michael Fasani October 23, 2020

This is SO BASIC. You have this in Jira Server just port it already.
https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucketserver050/pull-request-merge-strategies-913474859.html

Andrew Luca October 23, 2020

2 votes
Patrick Proulx May 6, 2019

Ya, we're considering moving away from BitBucket because of the lack of rebase.

We were looking at moving to Jira for Project Management because of its close integration with Bitbucket, but we're holding off for now until we figure out what we do with this.

Matthias Gebhardt July 25, 2019

Same here, please integrate: rebase + merge --ff-only, otherwise Azure DevOps will be our new friend

1 vote
Geoffroy Tremblin October 23, 2019

Hi, 

Any update about it ? 

It is really disturbing with the branch permission's check "Reset approvals when the source branch is modified" because our teams need to manually rebase their jobs before merging and reapprove the pull requests. 

You thinks that's normal ? Me NO !

0 votes
Tim Pettersen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 5, 2017

Hi Victor,

You're correct. Sorry for the confusion. There are variances in the feature set offered by the Cloud and Server versions of Bitbucket, and in this case Server is slightly ahead of Cloud in terms of functionality. For now, Bitbucket Cloud currently supports only a subset of the merge strategies available in Bitbucket Server. 

cheers,

Tim

pullrequesteval September 14, 2017

Any update on this suggestions ?

There is a 4 years old ticket about this issues !!!

https://bitbucket.org/site/master/issues/6106/provide-the-option-to-use-git-merge-ff

Like # people like this
weynhamz_cit October 24, 2017

Any updates on this, I really want the rebase + merge --no-ff option available.

Ruben Vandeginste February 10, 2018

Any updates on when this will be available on BitBucket Cloud? We also use the "rebase + merge --no-ff" option to merge feature branches.

vinaycareem July 1, 2018

Not having a rebase + merge --ff-only option is a deal breaker for me. Could this please be prioritized?

Evan Wu March 1, 2019

Is it still not a thing on the cloud? This is a very key feature for big project

Like Michael Fasani likes this
Deleted user March 22, 2019

This feature would save me a couple hours each week of checkout out branch, rebasing, and then push --force before finally merging.

Like # people like this
Rodolfo Ortiz August 20, 2019

hi @[deleted] could you elaborate on how you do rebase & merge? I understand you check out the PR branch, rebase master onto it, check out master, rebase the PR branch onto master and then push --force?

mafa August 20, 2019

@Rodolfo Ortiz with the PR branch being checked out:

git fetch --all
git rebase origin/master
git push -f

You only rebase the feature branch on top of master, it doesn't make sense to rebase master on your feature branch.

Rodolfo Ortiz August 21, 2019

Got it @mafa . And then, in order to merge, you would only need to do this to achieve a rebase&merge right?

git checkout master
git merge --no-ff PR_branch_being_checked_out
git push

Like Ray Depew likes this
mafa August 21, 2019

Yes exactly

Adam Cameron May 18, 2021

> "For now,"

It's _now_ 2021. How long is this "for now" period supposed to last? Asking for a friend.

Like # people like this
Daniel Marra March 30, 2022

Almost 4 months into 2022 and its still missing. but I have fancy new UI that noone asked for...

Markus Torstensson June 16, 2022

My team refuses to accept merge commits which prevents us from using pull requests.

Is there some way I can mark the PR merged without actually merging it?

Also, is somebody from Atlassian actually monitoring community threads?

Is it possible to build a plugin to support it?

Like Daniel Marra likes this
Andrew Hill
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 11, 2024

Tim said (in February 2017)

.. For now, Bitbucket Cloud currently supports only a subset of the merge strategies available in Bitbucket Server. 

cheers, Tim

---

Given that this is now March 2024 I think the answer that isn't a gas light attempt is "we have no plans to implement any extra PR strategies" 

(Unless someone from Atlassian wants to suggest otherwise, but I have seen nobody from Atlassian even suggest this could be a roadmap item)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events