Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Search for Double Quote - How to Escape Special Characters

Hasti Chitsazan March 10, 2020

I need to search for the exact word "Admin" (including double quotes). When I enter "Admin" in BitBucket search box, it only returns me Admin (not including doube quotes). 

SearchWord.PNG

3 answers

2 votes
Guille July 27, 2023

Most of those special characters are actually part of the code. Searching for code terms should include them. Expected feature.

1 vote
Dina November 16, 2021

I am interested in searching for something specific in the code that happens to have quotes (") in them.  Searching without quotes returns too much data and is not usable. This is a big inconvenience. Could you suggest a way around this or add it as part of your feature in the future.

0 votes
Jack Nolddor _Sweet Bananas_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 10, 2020

Hi Hasti

As per Search for code in Bitbucket Server page says:

There are some restrictions on how searches are performed:

All punctuation characters are removed. !"#$%&'()*+,-/:;<=>?@[\]^`{|}~

As you can see " character is included in the list... so you cannot use it to search a term in Bitbucket.

Regards

Hasti Chitsazan March 12, 2020

Thanks Jack for your response. Is there anyway escape them somehow? (I found this link: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Escaping-special-characters-in-Jira-JQL-Search/qaq-p/351171) but I don't know how to apply it to my situation.

Like # people like this
inger_klekacz June 3, 2022

The link that Jack posted now points to an unrelated page which does not have this information.

nataliawatanabe July 28, 2022

This is the correct link https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucketserver/bitbucket-search-syntax-814204781.html

Bitbucket uses ElastichSearch (or OpenSearch) to index the code and provide searches. Jira uses Lucene (https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/understand-the-index-process-in-jira-server-776654790.html)

Like inger_klekacz likes this
akatz August 3, 2022

Hi,

I am trying to search job: in all our repositories but currently, there is no way, per documentation to do it...

Thanks

Simon Baker April 17, 2023

Atlassian should be ashamed of this. We are thwarted at every turn because of some stupid missing functionality that is available every else in far superior products. I rue the day our organisation adopted Bitbucket! 

We absolutely need a way to search for the text we need to find! I am personally trying to find all code with ${...} style variables in POM files, and I'm just blown away by how useless the Bitbucket search functionality is.

Like # people like this
Kelly.Rankin June 30, 2023

They really need to get on this. It's insane to me how much this limits the power of the search in bitbucket.... I need to find something with a slash in the middle and I simply cannot!

Like Cristian Demetrescu likes this
Gabriele Santi
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 8, 2024

It's embarrassing. I need to search in terraform files across a variety of repositories for a named resource, that is string that contains double quotes in defined positions. Cannot escape them. Any other search term yields hundreds of results. And this journey happens on a daily basis, as terraform code is organised in modules, spread across multiple repos, and only one of them can "own" a defined resource (hope I can post this reply, since it contains double quotes now). This is a deal breaker, especially because the vast majority of, if not all, the competing products implement this.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events