SVN to Git Migration

kgleason January 6, 2014

In the middle of migrating from SVN to BitBucket (git). I'm struggling with speeds from the SVN server right now, and I'm wondering if something like this might be possible:

• svnadmin dump repo
  • Import the SVN repo to my laptop
  • git svn clone ....
  • modify the .git/config to change the SVN URL back to the original server
  • rebase to get new changes and keep in sync

I can't really think of a reason that it wouldn't work ....

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
cofarrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 8, 2014

Hi Kirk,

You can definitely do that. I would recommend testing it on a small repository just to confirm, but I've personally done that and it works fine.

Cheers,

Charles

kgleason January 8, 2014

I decided to just try -- didn't see any reason it wouldn't work. It is much faster to do the initial svn clone like this. Thanks!

cofarrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 8, 2014

Glad to hear it. I'm assuming you're runing git-svn? The other thing to look at is Subgit which is definitely faster (although doesn't handle all of the weird edge cases in badly formed SVN repositories)

http://subgit.com/

kgleason January 8, 2014

Oh man. I'm riddled with badly formed SVN repositories. It's been a bloody mess, but the end is in sight I think. In the end I'm losing some of my branch history, but it is what it is.

cofarrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 8, 2014

Yeah I've been there before, you just want it to be over (for me it was Clearcase).

Good luck. :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events