Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SVN->Stash, Crowd, git email and login

JIRA Autobot June 3, 2013

hi,

I am currently migrating from SVN so i did a authors file from svn. What are the emails used for in Stash ? What happens if the email is not correct anymore ? Can the user login ? We use Crowd with stash. In stash the user is loging in with it's AD username and the username in authors.txt matches this one but i am not sure about the email so would this cause problems ? Can i correct it in Stash if there are issues ?

/donnib

1 answer

0 votes
cofarrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 3, 2013

Hi Donnib,

The emails are purely Git and stem from the open source world where emails are king. In one sense the Git emails are not all that important to Stash at all - it doesn't matter if the emails are valid or match the actual address of your AD (or Crowd) users. Longer term there are requirements to link emails in a Git commit to their Stash user counterparts, but that's purely for display purposes. You might wish to install a plugin on your Stash instance that restricts commits to your AD users, but that's a different story. Also note that users need to set their name/email locally for new commits, what you're currently dealing with is just the SVN history.

If an email changes, or you need to update an email address, Git has mechanisms to map one email to another, and as of Stash 2.5 we now support them.

In short, while it's nice to get the SVN users to match with a correct AD user/email, and it keeps the history cleaner, it's fair from criticial and there are mechanisms, as mentioned above, to correct any mishaps that you make at the migration state.

I hope this helps somewhat?

Charles

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events