SSL with Bit Bucket Mirror

John Lawlor
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 4, 2017

I am trying to set up Bit Bucket Data Centre. It will run on the company intranet with the main nodes in Europe and the remote mirror in Malaysia.

Are self-signed SSL certificates sufficient for this purpose? What options are available?

Can you get a CA signed certificate even though the site is internal? Is there any point in doing that? I don't really want users to have to be greeted with warning messages every time they access Bit Bucket. I expect that will be the case with self-signed certificates.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Christian Glockner
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 13, 2017

Hi John,

As long as the mirrors trust the primary's certificate and vice versa things will work. The trust can either be established by getting a certificate signed by an external CA, or by manually adding the certificate to the trust store (the cacerts file) of the other party (i.e. the primary's certificate needs to be in the trust store of the mirror and vice versa).

Adding the certificate to the trust store is necessary both for certificate issued by company-internal CAs as well as self-signed certificates.

If you use self-signed certificates your users will indeed be prompted by a security warning, and the same will apply if you're using a certificate issued by a company-internal CA, unless that CA is trusted by the browsers.

Cheers,

Christian Glockner

Premier Support Engineer

Atlassian Premier Support

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events