Run manual build on tag

Aashish Kumar1 June 11, 2017

Is it possible to run manual builds on tags in bitbucket pipelines ?

3 answers

4 votes
Mark Philipp May 10, 2020

The only way we were able to solve this was copying the tag build into a duplicate custom build where we could pass in the tag name.  For example,

bitbucket-pipelines_yml_—_lineage-apps.png

You can then trigger the build and pass in the tag name as a variable

lineagenext___sunnyvale-automation-apps___Pipelines_—_Bitbucket.png

It's stupid that we have to work around something simple like this, but hopefully it'll be fixed by Atlassian in a future release.

2 votes
Aaron Roydhouse May 7, 2020

I've hit this problem as well, there is not way to run a pipeline for a tag, even if you select a tagged commit, it will only run the pipeline for the commit and BITBUCKET_TAG is empty. You have to delete and then re-push the tag to trigger a tag build pipeline.

You should be able to trigger a build for any ref you wish, like CodeBuild and others can.

0 votes
xtjhin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 14, 2017

Hi Aashish,

Is there any reason why you don't set up a pipeline to run on tags? Then use the tag feature in Bitbucket to trigger the pipeline?

Kenn Lipa May 9, 2019

One use case i can think of is, if you are following the GitFlow where you create a tag on your master when the build is released and you decide to rollback, you would like to redeploy an old version of your code. 

Like # people like this
Kenn Lipa May 9, 2019

it would be a cool feature to have so i dont have to create a separate branch to redeploy. 

Guillaume Chopelet November 27, 2019

Could be useful when bitbucket is failing and don't run tags pipeline by itself (like now)

Like # people like this
jasonquick July 12, 2021

And now.

Like Jeremy Luzzi likes this
Jeremy Luzzi October 25, 2022

Instead of running a pipeline when we create a tagged branch, I'd like to be able to pick a tag and run a pipeline on it

Like George Hategan likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events