Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retrieving the branch download file using SSH

Helge Söderström April 4, 2013

Hello!

I'm currently re-working my company's deployment script*, and I recently found out that you can download the source files of specific branches under "Downloads" > "Branches" on Bitbucket. This is totally awesome and exactly what I'm looking for.

There's a tiny issue though that seems to cause a problem for me. The file is, understandably, only reachable using HTTPS, but I would like to download it from the terminal (Mac) with the SSH-key as the authentication. The reason for this is naturally that the script should be arbitrary for all our developers.

Is there a way to reach this file (specifically, the tarball) from the terminal using SSH?

Many thanks for your time.

Best regards,
Helge Söderstörm

* PS. In case it makes it easier for you to see what help I'm requesting, the deployment script currently clones the Mercurial repo from Bitbucket, including history, thousands of changesets etc before uploading it to our staging server where it is then deployed.

1 answer

0 votes
aMarcus
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 4, 2013

Hello,

There isn't a way to download a specific file via SSH at the moment, but that is a great idea. For the time being, you can do one of two things:

• Use OAuth and setup your deployment server to utilitze that for authentication - Documentation
  • Don't clone every time. Specifically on Bitbucket, we just keep a clone of the repo and pull in the changes up to the commit we wish to deploy.
Helge Söderström April 4, 2013

Hello Marcus! If the functionality to fetch the file is implemented, It'd be awesome to find out =) Meanwhile, I will use your solution of just pulling the repo instead of cloning.

Thanks for the reply.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events