Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repository size will not shrink following Git LFS migration and BFG repo cleaner use

Jon Theis December 4, 2017

One of our repositories is approaching 1 GB in size.  It has a lot of content, so after creating a fork of the repo for testing purposes I attempted to follow the instructions here - https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucket/use-git-lfs-with-existing-bitbucket-repositories-829078749.html - to shrink the fork.  It has been more than 48 hours and the size of the forked repo has not changed (although I can see space is being consumed in Git LFS).  Are there other steps beyond this article that need to be followed?

Note: I also followed the process detailed in this SO answer - https://stackoverflow.com/a/37253227 - to no avail.

Thanks for your attention.

1 answer

0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 5, 2017

Hi Jon! Can you let us know the name of the original repo and the name of the forked repo? I'll assume they are in your Bitbucket Cloud account, if they are in a different one please let us know so we can check the right one. Also, have you tried the steps at Reduce repository size already?

Best regards :)

Ana 

Jon Theis December 5, 2017

Hi Ana.  The name of the original repo is 'webapp'.  The name of the forked repo is 'webapp-git-lfs-test'.  They are both owned by the 'touchtown' team I am a member of.

I checked the size of the webapp-git-lfs-test repo this morning and it has been doubled since my original message - although I have not taken any action in it since posting my original message.  It went from approx 990 MB to 1.7 GB.  Any idea why???

Yes, I attempted the steps in the link you cited above regarding using BFG repo cleaner to rewrite history and reduce the size against the forked repo (pushes were never disabled to this repo so we didnt need the steps related to that).

Thanks

akhilvarma8 October 24, 2018

Hi @Jon Theis @Ana Retamal

Did you find a solution to this, The same thing happened to my repo whose size increased from 1.1 GB to 2.6 GB on performing git lfs migrate.

The repository name is JessieiOS.

I've also tried the BFG repo cleaner in the reduce repository size page.

Thank You

Jon Theis October 29, 2018

Hi @akhilvarma8.  Unfortunately, no we did not.  The repo that doubled in the size was the fork of our main repo that we had created for testing purposes.  We received no reply from Atlassian and just ended up deleting that forked repo where the issue occurred.

akhilvarma8 October 29, 2018

@Jon Theis Oh, Okay. A git gc from Atlassian worked for us(kinda).

Thanks Anyway.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events